Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose shift linkage, but on the trans side

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:28 PM
nhjoe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone know what size allen wrench

to use to loosen that up i cant loosen it with a regular allen wrench and is there a special type allen wrench to use like socket style ??? before i try this and f--ck it up worse mines floppin like a dead fish lookes like its fallin off almost im gona buy a new arm any idea how much those are from harley ? cant be to much could it 2006 road king inner linkage arm with allen attaches to the rod for clairifacation harley sucks shouldnt have to deal with this crap reaLY its a dam tight spot to get at too! gotta have tiny hands to get in there it seems im afraid i wont be able to get the old one out or new one on ! any hints would help on how to tackle this ! and do i understand that you change the allen to regular hex bolt so you can get it to tighten up better i hope splines arnt stripped 32 k miles its been loose for a while harley said normal they all do now its bad or worse i should say not warrenty issue anymore obvious being 2006

Old 05-29-2010, 08:41 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had to replace mine, you have to pull everything off in front of it, outer and inner primaries, etc. Once I got the old one off, the inside was almost completely stripped out and the tranny shaft was fine. When installing the lever, be sure to get it where it goes according to the manual, mine was screwed up and wouldn't allow the bolt to thread and catch, so it being late and the HD shop 50 miles away. I placed a grade 8 bolt through the holes and put a flat washer, lock washer and nyloc nut on it. Torqued the crap out it and with over 10,000 miles it still holding. To bad someone don't design one like a connecting rod end, two bolts from under neath and off it comes. Ferking sucky design on HD's part..

Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 AM
nrgdrgn
Stage I

Ok i have read all these posts multiple times and checked my 05 electraglide, what i am finding is that not only is the linkage loose but the rod coming out of the trans is loose and slowly leaking fluid. to replace this rod does the whole tranny need to come out or can that piece be replaced while still on the bike?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nhjoe
to use to loosen that up i cant loosen it with a regular allen wrench and is there a special type allen wrench to use like socket style ??? before i try this and f--ck it up worse mines floppin like a dead fish lookes like its fallin off almost im gona buy a new arm any idea how much those are from harley ? cant be to much could it 2006 road king inner linkage arm with allen attaches to the rod for clairifacation harley sucks shouldnt have to deal with this crap reaLY its a dam tight spot to get at too! gotta have tiny hands to get in there it seems im afraid i wont be able to get the old one out or new one on ! any hints would help on how to tackle this ! and do i understand that you change the allen to regular hex bolt so you can get it to tighten up better i hope splines arnt stripped 32 k miles its been loose for a while harley said normal they all do now its bad or worse i should say not warrenty issue anymore obvious being 2006
Use an allen socket to get it out. Replace with reg bolt, you can use a magnet or tape to hold bolt in socket to get it started and of coarse locktite. Most loose trans shifter problems can be fixed just replacing the bolt. The allen bolt seems tight but it just gets bound up and you really can't get enought torque on it.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:38 AM
EddieBlaize
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't used this, but saw their ad a while back.

WWW.betterlever.com

might be a less expensive repair...

Old 09-20-2011, 11:51 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Screw pulling the entire primary off to replace the POS lever. Reccomend taking out the bolt, grabbing a long scewdriver, putting it on the edge of the opening of the tranny shifter giving it a decent whack with a hammer to break the lever and take it off. It goes without saying to to that part carefully so as not to damage the shaft. Clean the shaft and install the "better lever" as linked above. It will take all of 20 minutes to do. I've done several on my bikes and friends Glides. Agree with the others that it is an absolutly stupid design..

Old 09-20-2011, 12:12 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

The better lever seems like the way to go. Don't let it go loose too long though. My bro in law did with his Ultra Classic and ended up stranded 200 miles from home.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:29 PM
mr396
Cruiser

I was finishing an 8500 ride, and my front shifter arm came detached from the shift rod in the last 20 miles from home. The hex nut that fits into the groove of the shift rod was still in and tight. I have no idea how this could come apart, but it did. It was a little scary to try to downshift and find out there was no foot pegs there to shift.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:43 PM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they do make an aftermarket arm that is 2 pieces.... getting the old arm off is the PIA... they suggest using a drimmel with a cutter blade .... its tight area to work in, so take your time... i read about it in hot bike or hot baggers about a year or two ago...

Old 11-16-2011, 08:13 PM
websterdan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PDDGM
When I had to replace mine, you have to pull everything off in front of it, outer and inner primaries, etc. Once I got the old one off, the inside was almost completely stripped out and the tranny shaft was fine. When installing the lever, be sure to get it where it goes according to the manual, mine was screwed up and wouldn't allow the bolt to thread and catch, so it being late and the HD shop 50 miles away. I placed a grade 8 bolt through the holes and put a flat washer, lock washer and nyloc nut on it. Torqued the crap out it and with over 10,000 miles it still holding. To bad someone don't design one like a connecting rod end, two bolts from under neath and off it comes. Ferking sucky design on HD's part..
Someone does, I've seen them 1-3 yrs back. I'm looking for a friend now

Quick Reply: Loose shift linkage, but on the trans side