Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK bar replacement and heated grip questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:06 PM
MrWrestlingII
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RK bar replacement and heated grip questions

I'm planning on replacing the bars on my 08 RK and installing heated grips at the same time. I've got a few questions that maybe somebody here can answer.

BTW- I'm 6' with a fairly long reach.

1. I'm looking for a bar has 1 or 2 inches more rise and pullback than the stock bar but is close to the same width (32.5"). It looks like Chubby's 508's have more pullback than I want and the 518's are too wide. I rode a buddies 05 RK Custom and those bars are too narrow for me. Harley's site is difficult to figure specs on.

Does anybody know the width of the Heritage style bar 56902-08?

Any feedback on the RK tour bar 56557-95?

I'm also thinking maybe a stock Road Glide bar might be the ticket, anybody using those?

2. Do I need a 1 1/4" bar to run the hand control wiring through the bars?

With FBW on the 08 can I run the throttle side hand control wiring through the bars?

3. In doing research on heated grips it looks like the Harley versions are prone to failure so I'm looking at other options. The Hot Grips and other brands that use a grip replacement look like crap and I don't think the brand that inserts into the bar will work with FBW.

So, what I'm thinking about doing is using something like a Moose brand ATV grip warmer under a stock Harley handgrip. I installed these on a Jap bike a few years back and they worked great. Has anybody used these on their HD? If so I'm interested on how you routed the wires off of the grips. If possible I would like to run the handcontrol wiring along with the heated grip wiring through the bars and use left side aux lamp switch to control the grip warmers.

Any thoughts?