Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please. Have a question about oil level...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:24 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help please. Have a question about oil level...

Got in from a ride last evening and decided to check my oil. I knew the bike was supposed to be hot when checking oil. I thought it would be after getting in from a ride. Problem was I forgot to let it idle for 1 to 2 minutes (like manual says which I read after I checked it) Anyway it was showing right at half way (3 x's up if I counted right) So I decided I better add some. Put in maybe a quarter quart. Now the dip stick is showing, when i checked it cold this morning on the 4th X which is one notch above halfway. Do you guys think it's now overfilled? Don't want the mess I read about doing a search on here from some who did overfill. Think I should suck some out with the wife's turkey baster?

Last edited by sparky_mo; 08-27-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:22 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have found it to be easy to do the oil check cold, no burnt fingers. I check the level before I ride and cold I keep it at 3X on the 07 -08 bikes, check when hot after short idle and will get full hot reading top of 6X. If I put to much oil in the bike it pukes it on the ground as I have the breather routed to the ground. Doc

Old 08-27-2008, 08:22 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the cold check.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Best way to know for sure, change the oil yourself. Or ride home from the dealer, park the bike where you would normally check the oil and leave it for 20 minutes. Now check the oil level and remember where that oil level is, write it down if you have to.
After the oil change and you start it up to get the oil circulating and pressures up, then shut it down and wait 5 minutes. Now, do a cold check of the level. Now the tricky part, remember where the oil level is at this point. You know you put in the correct amount of oil, this is your full mark. If the level drops from this point on to the next change, you know where the oil level WAS and where it should be.

Not knowing where the oil level was BEFORE you checked, you don't know if it needs oil or not, really. You're just guessing

Old 08-27-2008, 09:40 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky_mo
Got in from a ride last evening and decided to check my oil. I knew the bike was supposed to be hot when checking oil. I thought it would be after getting in from a ride. Problem was I forgot to let it idle for 1 to 2 minutes (like manual says which I read after I checked it) Anyway it was showing right at half way (3 x's up if I counted right) So I decided I better add some. Put in maybe a quarter quart. Now the dip stick is showing, when i checked it cold this morning on the 4th X which is one notch above halfway. Do you guys think it's now overfilled? Don't want the mess I read about doing a search on here from some who did overfill. Think I should suck some out with the wife's turkey baster?

This is full. Dont add any more. When cold the stick should show 1/4-1/2 qt low.