Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy needs help asap....new bike stranded!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:49 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sanaga
thanks God...i love my cable throttle on my 07...no problem so far....
Yup, me too on my 02 Ultra.
Hopefully He keeps us posted with findings and how the dealer treated him .

Old 08-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

here's the deal.

I changed my seat before going for a ride. it's an H-D seat. the pan isn't as rigid. When I sat on it, a conection to the ECM disconnected. WTF!

I asked them about the seat. He said that it's the 4th or 5th bike that has come in where the ECM main connector was NOT fully seated and snapped together. WWWWOOOOWWWW.

They put the new upload in it anyway and we'll give it the Italian work out tonight to make sure all is good. I am sure it is.

You guys KNOW YOUR STUFF and I am thankfull you where patient with a noob. I didn't have my manual last night to trouble shoot the particulars that many wrote and would have caught that but your experience with these bikes far outshine my reading skills. Again thanks.

NOTE TO ALL: the DBW is an excellent advancement IF IT"S PLUGGED IN!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
here's the deal.

I changed my seat before going for a ride. it's an H-D seat. the pan isn't as rigid. When I sat on it, a conection to the ECM disconnected. WTF!

I asked them about the seat. He said that it's the 4th or 5th bike that has come in where the ECM main connector was NOT fully seated and snapped together. WWWWOOOOWWWW.

They put the new upload in it anyway and we'll give it the Italian work out tonight to make sure all is good. I am sure it is.

You guys KNOW YOUR STUFF and I am thankfull you where patient with a noob. I didn't have my manual last night to trouble shoot the particulars that many wrote and would have caught that but your experience with these bikes far outshine my reading skills. Again thanks.

NOTE TO ALL: the DBW is an excellent advancement IF IT"S PLUGGED IN!!!!!!
Very good news - sounds like a simple fix and a lesson to all - to all those that blast the Electronic Throttle Control - The ETC was working as designed and limiting the rpms and throttle response until it could be checked out.

In 1999 - while riding to Sturgis from New York, my buddy broke a throttle cable on his Road King. the next morning the remaining 2 of us went to the nearest H-D dealer - NO CABLE in stock. Called all surrounding dealers until found one - we road 200 miles out of way and lost an entire day over a freaking cable. Yea - they're great! I've been wishing for and waiting for electronic throttles ever since! (FYI - never left home without a set of cables coiled up in the bottom of the tourPak after that experience (full set,throttle,idle,clutch, speedo (yea I had an old one with a speedo cable)).

Old 08-27-2008, 03:55 PM
coloradosteve
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I love my carb. chopper. Only a couple cables. THey all run full lenght into the relay box. Only thing under the seat is the battery. Simple!

Although I LOVE MY EG too!!!!!

Old 08-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
Very good news - sounds like a simple fix and a lesson to all - to all those that blast the Electronic Throttle Control - The ETC was working as designed and limiting the rpms and throttle response until it could be checked out.

In 1999 - while riding to Sturgis from New York, my buddy broke a throttle cable on his Road King. the next morning the remaining 2 of us went to the nearest H-D dealer - NO CABLE in stock. Called all surrounding dealers until found one - we road 200 miles out of way and lost an entire day over a freaking cable. Yea - they're great! I've been wishing for and waiting for electronic throttles ever since! (FYI - never left home without a set of cables coiled up in the bottom of the tourPak after that experience (full set,throttle,idle,clutch, speedo (yea I had an old one with a speedo cable)).
Weavr,

You're just jealous that you don't have a cable... I mean you keep your bike in a bubble

Old 08-27-2008, 04:33 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got thru lubing my throttle cables cause they were sticking.. It worked ok and seems a lot better . I fount it kinda wierd having only 8k on the clock but i dont have to deal with the FBW crap... The nice part about the dual cable is although it was sticky i could still back it down..
Dave

Old 08-27-2008, 04:48 PM
sofadog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
Day one of ownership was heaven. Day 2 was completely devastating.
Hope you have many more days like day 1 and many a happy miles.
Sounds like you have a good dealer to handle anything that comes up and good tech's.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

I just wanted to update everyone that had interested in my little connector drama. All is well. The dealer picked up the bike and had it ready for me in less then 4 hours. They said they only reconnected the leads but the repair ticket said they had to repair it. Whatever-i don't care as long as I can ride this thing as I intended.

I am JUST shy of the 500 mile break in. I would be fibbing if I said I was 100% easy on it. From what I read in the manual, as long as i didn't go over 4k rpm and don't lug the engine, I am good to go.

I had some side to side movement on the highway and thought my stearing head bolt was loose (I heard an issue with 08 roadkings through a friend). That wasn't the case. The dealer over inflated both front and rear tires.

I corrected that and dialed in the rear suspension and I put on about 225 miles yesterday (2 up). Mostly tight twisties and secondary roads. I also did a quick 1 hour blast on the highway. The bike handled like a dream in the twisties. The tourque really moves this thing along. The highway ride was BONE straight and VERY solid. no more front end dancing.

I am VERY VERY impressed on how a small guy like me can toss this thing around.

I printed out the trouble codes and different "modes" the bike will go into so that I'll have them in my saddlebag at all times. The manual will be bought very soon.

GREAT bike but an even better forum.

thank you guys for your help. I was freaking out for nothing.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:02 AM
HogRider61
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stranded too on an 08 Ultra Classic

Tony,

My 08 Ultra has done this three times now. The dealer has found all type of codes stored in the computer. I got it back from the shop on Friday, rode it for about 30 min and no problems. Soooo....I thought problem solved...WRONG! The next morning as I was entering the Interstate with tons of traffic...went to upshift and boom---no throttle, only idle! Luckily I could get to the shoulder without being rear ended. Did the reset and limped into the dealership. Anything over 3500 rpms would make it lose all throttle. Dealership just shook their head. Said they had never seen anything like it. Will let you know what they find out. This is my first "Real" Harley, so I too am disappointed. Funny, My VRod (not a real Harley....yeah right!) never left me walking.........!

Bart

Old 02-02-2009, 10:16 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats why I like my wooden wheels man.
They dont go flat

Quick Reply: New guy needs help asap....new bike stranded!