Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy needs help asap....new bike stranded!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

In. being worked on. I was told there is a buletin for the problem and it's an easy fix. supposedly, the idle needs a new download. If nothing else the dealer's service is at least knowledgeable and don't feed you BS.

There is a story behind it but in a nut shell the place is NOT happy with any bike that has repeat problems. That came from a family member who works for the dealer. The owner/general manager is type A and doesn't want repeats.

3 months ago, he gave a brand new bike with more options to a guy and added 3k in stuff just to resolve a repeat issue. It was an extreme case but he doesn't fool around. We shall see.

Not expecting anything and getting my ducks in a row to cover my self. common sense says that it isn't needed.

Supposedly, the lead tech is in contact with H-D right now and covering all bases. My relative will hopefully keep the ball rolling.

sorry to vent guys.....nothing anyone can do but I just needed to vent.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 AM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yea, I guess fly by wire creates a whole new set of problems. I'm getting an 09 RKC in a couple months, so I hope they've got the bugs worked out. Will let you guys know. Good luck on the bike Toe Knee....

Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 AM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check (or have your dealer check) to verify every pin in the ECM connector is properly inserted. Two pins in mine were found to be not making good contact, leading to an intermittent TBW issue. No problems since it was corrected about 5K miles ago.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Born2Glide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy...this all sounds pretty complicated, and this new throttle design is supposed to be better? This makes me love my '06 just a little bit more.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Born2Glide
Boy...this all sounds pretty complicated, and this new throttle design is supposed to be better? This makes me love my '06 just a little bit more.
It is better. sounds to me his ECM put the bike into "limp home" mode (clearly outlined in the owner's manual). When the ECM discovers a problem - in order to protect the motorcycle from further damage, it enters Limp Home mode - to prevent over-revving, etc. could not do this with cables.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:29 AM
sanaga
Road Captain

my friend who had 08 ultra also has this problem...idle fine but when give some throttle, idle jump up to 1500-2000...he very dissapointed now as in my country, the dealer know nothing about this....they say its normal for a tbw system .....wtf..??
u guys in the state are lucky, have a lot tech support from the dealer...

Old 08-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

the first thing a person should do is read the owner's manual cover to cover - If you are wating several days for the bike to be prepped, or accessories added, ask for the owners manual and READ IT!!!

Page 40 2008 touring Owner's Manual

ETC (electronic Throttle control)

The ETC monitors the status of the grip sensors, throttle plate actuation and airflow. If any problems are detected, the motorcycle will disable cruise control, illuminate the engine check lamp, and revert to one of the following fallback modes

ETC Limited Performance Mode
The rider will experience near normal operation. the motorcycle will operate with provisions to guard against unintended acceleration

ETC Power Management Mode
the throttle plate actuator returns to an "idle detent" or "Limp-Home" position, which will provide enough torque to achieve speed of about 25 mph. the motorcycle's response to grip sensor input is significantly reduced.

ETC Forced Idle Mode <-- SOUNDS LIKE YOUR SYMPTONS
the throttle plate actuator is forced to a "fast idle" position, which will provide enough torque to crawl, but not enough to operate at traffic speed

ETC Forced Shutdown Mode
the engine is forced to shutdown.

bottom line - yes, there is a problem, the symptoms you are experiencing are a reaction to the problem, not the problem itself.... hopefully a diagnostic code will reveal the true problem.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Real_Big_Tex
Cruiser

Yeah stupid stinking TBW! Stupid EFI! Stupid ECU! Stupid electric starter! Stupid disc brakes! The1903 model never had any of that stuff so it could never malfunction, why didn't they leave well enough alone and just keep selling that same bike for 105 years. Obviously anything new that I haven't used before is a stupid idea. Why did they have to go and change from great technology like drum brakes. Bunch of idiots.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Born2Glide
Road Master

"limp mode" I hate it when that happens

Old 08-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Born2Glide
"limp mode" I hate it when that happens
I wouldn't know - LOL

Quick Reply: New guy needs help asap....new bike stranded!