Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jumped The Shark!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:34 PM
howa
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumped The Shark!

Anybody seen the H-D TriGlide? I'm sorry but I think the MoCo has jumped the shark on this one. I thought they were the pre-eminent American motorcycle company. Isn't it "Harley-Davidson Motorcycles?" Doesn't a "motorcycle" have two wheels? With all due respect to anybody who rides a trike because of a physical disability and no respect for the men whose wives won't ride on the back of a motorcycle, there are plenty of manufacturers out there who make these adulterations. What's next, a Harley ATV?

Old 08-26-2008, 04:44 PM
VT Hog
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

U are so wrong. What about the people who can't ride 2 wheels. People who were injured, war vets that can't ride, older people and so on. You my friend are closed minded. I am glad they made a product that helps people who can't ride a 2 wheeled bike. This makes it more accessable for them..

Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it is a great idea and I am glad they make it. I hope I have a lot of years left on two wheels, but if something changes, I would go to a trike before I gave it up.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Trikes directly from HD is a great marketing ploy for the Moco that will expand their market share. Why not attempt to take a portion of the market share from the conversion business? I'm not in the market for a trike (yet, thank God), but I think it's a great move on the company's part.

howa, you were kidding, right?

Last edited by Woodchuck; 08-26-2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: editorial
Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 PM
howa
Advanced

I guess you don't know what "with all due respect" means! There are plenty of trike makers out there so those who want to ride but can't use a two-wheeled vehicle still can. All I'm saying is the MoCo is in it for the money. Next year, you'll probably be able to buy a "custom" chopper from them. They'll be putting all the small chopper builders out of business. It's all about the Benjamins!

Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

Back in the seventies I remember a HD 2 stroke dirt bike.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:57 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by howa
and no respect for the men whose wives won't ride on the back of a motorcycle,
What does that mean? My wife won't (does not like to) ride on my bike. She has been an ER nurse for 20 yrs and calls them donor cycles. I was riding before we met and she knows I'm not gonna stop until I can't do it any more

Originally Posted by Bluzmn59
I think it is a great idea and I am glad they make it. I hope I have a lot of years left on two wheels, but if something changes, I would go to a trike before I gave it up.
+1 on that

Old 08-26-2008, 05:08 PM
bowhunter7532
Novice
Default offense taken

my dad is a retired injured vietnam vet and is going to get the trike when available here. he sat on my ultra and it was too tall and heavy for him. he has limited use of his right arm but loves to be able to ride with everybody else. wants american made (fought for this country ) no budging on this issue. the moco is trying to get a product for all to enjoy and if that bothers you then buy 51% of their stock and run the company the way you want. until that point don't bash someone because they want a harley trike.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:13 PM
mymatrix
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that Harley building the Tri Glide is a natural progression of a growing company. The company is constantly adding aftermarket parts by other manufacturers to their sales catalog. Taping into a growing market segment is good business.

If I were shopping for a trike I would probably choose to purchase a factory bike designed to be a trike from the frame up rather than a conversion bike.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:15 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with the Triglide, people have been converting HD's to trikes for a long time. Why shouldn't the MOCO get in on it. You can make cracks at trike riders all day long, you telling me that if it was either ride a trike or don't ride at all you'd go with not riding at all.

I ride what I want and nobody's opinion but mine matters to me.

Quick Reply: Jumped The Shark!