Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freaking Wonderful!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:18 PM
ndrag
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freaking Wonderful!

2002 Electra Glide Classic. Tried to check the air in the rear shocks, and out sprayed nothing but OIL! I assume that this means the shocks are blown? Anybody else have this problem? Man if its not one thing its another with these Harleys! Do I need new shocks? Thanks John

Old 08-25-2008, 10:57 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably not. You've got to just screw on the air pump to determine pressure. A little oil may start to come out but keep screwing it on. They may have been pumped up too high. Make sure you've got a pump with a guage. This ain't that tricky, just go slow and keep screwing the fitting onto the valve until you get a reading. Then tell us what it is. You can then adjust accordingly. Simplest sometimes works....

Old 08-25-2008, 11:01 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

PS..You can't just check these fittings with a regular air guage. You've got to have a guage with a fitting that screws onto the air valve. I was thinking you would know that, but maybe not. It should have a circular gauge at the top of a very small pump, with a hose and a fitting on the end. If you don't have one, you need to get one to correctly check and air up your shocks, and front end if applicable. Hope this helps.. CCRyder

Old 08-26-2008, 12:16 AM
ragingbull
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's also a good idea to pump up your shocks a little before airing down. This helps clear oil out of the air lines.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:22 AM
TheBagger
Road Master

My shocks work fine and if I air down I always get just a little bit of oil. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:03 PM
ndrag
Intermediate

Thanks guys! I guess I have to get me one of them there pumps!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:02 AM
JBA111
Road Captain

let this long time Harley rider and wrench give you a good lesson! before you do any thing to your Harley get a manual and learn what you are doing AND what it means!
You get on here bad mouthin a Harley and YOU dont know what YOU are doing?? The nice thing about these air/oil shock is you can empty out the old oilo and replace with fresh new oil. I just rolled over 80K on my 1999 Ultra with no repairs just maintence, Maybe you got one that was very poorly taken care of, Or you may have bought a bike that was worked on by someone else that dont' know what they were doin either. But your bike is 6 yrs old and will require some wrenchin . If it's too much work for you sell it and get yourself another Honda

Old 08-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Navitimer
Cruiser

I would recommend grabbing one of the pumps. The first one I got was a little fragile and only lasted a few months. That said I kept it in my saddlebag all the time, so it could have gotten banged around a little too much. I keep my new one in my tool cabinet and no problems thus far.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:50 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

I agree with JBA111, get a manual and an air pump.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:04 PM
ndrag
Intermediate

JBA111, I've been wrenching since 1970. Have 6 years worth of professional training and degrees. I do all my own work, period. Wrenched, raced and drove a S/C dragster for 11 years. Wrenched and raced Desert Racing dirt bikes for 7 years. Been riding since 1972. I am a super gear head. Let me tell you I have never been around a consumer product, (non-race) that has to be serviced ALL the time like a Harley. I love the bike, but fork rebuilds,(my bike happens to have 2 different types of front forks, go figure must of ran out or had extra ones) and on and on. Either their product is not up to par, or they have us brainwashed thinking it has to be serviced all the time. Harley make a ton of $$ off of this. I know from years of experience that OIL in a air shock line is not good, or ancient technology. The first time I checked the pressure, 6 months ago, there was no oil in the lines. I came on here for more info, and yes I do get disgusted with the bike, it is the only bike that has EVER stranded me! More than once. My buddies brand new 08 Ultra has stranded him and been in the shop numerous times. Seems the dealers shops are always swamped. When they run, they sound cool and are a neat ride, but at least I KNOW what I'M riding. By the way I do have a manual, isn't that a prerequisite when owning a Harley! There you go MR Wrench!

Quick Reply: Freaking Wonderful!