Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel bearing failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008 | 05:55 PM
Araba Shriner
|
Road Master
Default Rear wheel bearing failure

When I bought this bike, it had chromed HD wheels... My problem is rear wheel bearing failure... twice now. The bike only has 21K miles on it.

I have an HD extended factory warranty, they will replace the rear bearing again, but wont fix the problem of why it is failing. Mechanic says the hub of the wheel must have a problem, but I am told this is not covered under the extended warranty. These are not cheap wheels, and to replace would be a little over $500 just for the wheel.

Anyone have any ideas about this or a cheaper way for me to fix my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-25-2008 | 06:15 PM
crash1292
Banned

most common cause for a wheel bearing failure is a crushed spacer between the bearings causing a preload on the bearings when the wheel is tightened up.
install 1 bearing and slide the spacer in ...the spacer must stand proud of the lip that the other bearing seats on

Old 08-25-2008 | 06:27 PM
rbabos
Banned

Yup, what he said, plus the press must not be too tight or they will skate, get rough, make heat and basically f up.
A good wrench will look for a cause if it happens twice for no logical reason. First time it's usually chocked up to a bad bearing. Your other post in suspension mentions that you had these parts chromed. Chrome drastically changes critical dimmensions, so that's where I'd be looking.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 08-25-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2008 | 06:31 PM
katobird
Road Warrior

Hate to say it but
remove the bearing and check to see if the bearing "bore" is a true 90 degrees from the axle.
side load side load side load

Old 08-25-2008 | 08:23 PM
Araba Shriner
|
Road Master

Thanks for the great info fellows. The original owner had the chrome wheels installed 2000 miles before I bought it which was around the 13K mark. I was in touch with him today, he still has the stock wheels.

Chrome drastically changes critical dimmensions, so that's where I'd be looking.
Maybe I should try to talk him into an even trade and put the originals back on.

Old 08-25-2008 | 09:25 PM
Hoffy
Road Master

My rear wheel bearing had a bearing that fell out when the tech pulled my rear wheel at 10,000 miles for a tire replacement. It was the stock bearing with stock wheels.

Old 08-25-2008 | 09:57 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member

Take the wheel to a machine shop with the spacer, and axle, have them check the bore of the wheel, and the total width of the spacers, and the wheel.
This would be much cheaper than changing the wheel.

Old 08-25-2008 | 10:02 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Araba Shriner
When I bought this bike, it had chromed HD wheels... My problem is rear wheel bearing failure... twice now. The bike only has 21K miles on it.

I have an HD extended factory warranty, they will replace the rear bearing again, but wont fix the problem of why it is failing. Mechanic says the hub of the wheel must have a problem, but I am told this is not covered under the extended warranty. These are not cheap wheels, and to replace would be a little over $500 just for the wheel.

Anyone have any ideas about this or a cheaper way for me to fix my problem?
I would make sure there using the correct "Wheel Installation Kit".

Old 08-28-2008 | 06:15 AM
Araba Shriner
|
Road Master

I would make sure there using the correct "Wheel Installation Kit".
Thanks for all the input... A buddy of mine and I managed to get a look at the problem yesterday. Pulled the rear wheel off, found the problem right away.

There was a ton of play in the spacer between the bearings... Installed new bearings, correct size spacer, no more free play inside the hub.

I cant believe a certified HD Mechanic would put this thing together this way... twice!!!

quiet as a mouse now. hope it stays this way

Old 08-28-2008 | 06:40 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

Of course the guy wouldnt warranty it, he was the problem.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearing failure