Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

progressive shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:59 PM
08ultragzrglide
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool progressive shocks

I am getting ready to replace my stock shocks and fork springs with the Progressives. There are several options available for the rear. I have used the 416's on my wing, and absolutely loved the ride. I am thinking about putting them on the ultra. Looking for comments from those who have them. Opinions? I would prefer to keep the air adjustable. Thanks in advance. Have a great ride!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:03 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,526 Posts

while i haven't used the 416s, i am curious about your post. you say you used them before, loved them, but your looking for opinions. i would think your opinion counts more than anyone elses, but what do i know.....

Old 08-25-2008, 06:29 PM
08ultragzrglide
4th Gear

True. And I agree. You have an opinion, and I respect that. But, Progressive makes so many different rear shocks, that I wanted input from others who have them. A comparison, so to speak. While I do like the 416s, I just want to make as informed of a decision as I can. If there is a better mousetrap, then I would like to know. That's all...

Old 08-25-2008, 06:32 PM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I will be installing 11.5'' HD progressive shocks on the rear of my RKC in about a week. I am doing to lower the bike. I felt that a shorter shock was a better option that changing the angle of the shock to lower the bike. Other than that, I have no opinion.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:39 PM
gliderman
Road Captain

I replaced the stock 12" with Progressive 12" 440's on my SG. They were a marked improvement over stock. Gave the bike a more stable feel in the rear. I did find them to be a firmer shock than the stock air but nothing to complain about. No more "floating" feeling. I think they are a bit overpriced, but so is everything else in the world...

Old 08-25-2008, 06:59 PM
blkjac
Novice

440's are great, especially for the passenger if you carry one. The ultra is 13 " unless you want to lower it. I put them on about 6 months ago and since then 5 of my riding friends with Ultras' have also installed them. Pricey but well worth it.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:21 PM
hdman1216
Cruiser

I have 440's on my 08 SG. I bought the 11 1/2 " and the ride is far better than the 12" air shocks. They are adjustable over a wide range from soft to super stiff without using any kind of tool.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Progressives are just OK, slightly better than stock. Works are a little better than Progressive. If you are wanting to get the Progressive 440's, save a little more money and go with Penske shocks. They are worth EVERY penny and out perform ANY Progressive or Works shock hands down. Better control in corners, smoother riding, much more adjustable than any of the others. You put them on your bagger you feel like you stepped out of a Geo Metro and into a Cadillac CTS-V. See Motorcycle Metals board on this site for more

Old 08-25-2008, 09:11 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,526 Posts

Originally Posted by 08ultragzrglide
True. And I agree. You have an opinion, and I respect that. But, Progressive makes so many different rear shocks, that I wanted input from others who have them. A comparison, so to speak. While I do like the 416s, I just want to make as informed of a decision as I can. If there is a better mousetrap, then I would like to know. That's all...
i understand now. i thought you were wanting opinions on the 416s. i didn't get that you were talking about the whole range of progressive shocks. my bad.

i can't tell you anything except for the 440s on my bike. they started off great, better than stock, but over the past year, leaked the oil out and are now very harsh, to the point that i had to take them off and put the stockers back on. i may be screwed too, cause the lifetime warranty requires proof of purchase, i bought these over 5 years ago, don't have the receipt any more and don't have a clue where i got them from (online).... so i'm gonna be looking into shocks here soon too.....

Old 08-26-2008, 12:26 AM
Truman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blown Seal

2nd ride on My new set of 418's for My 08 RKC and a seal blew, didn't realize it until I pulled into the garage, oil soaked the RH exhaust and smoked like crazy...quite a mess.

Called Progressive this morning and spoke to Justin, a replacement set of shocks shipped same day with 30 days to return the originals with no charge...outstanding customer service to say the least.

I don't think this incident is indicative of Progressive's quality...at least I hope not, many of My riding mates use and love them.

If you buy 11.5" shocks for a touring model that's been lowered be sure to get the heavy duty springs 105/150 even if your 180lb rider, I made the mistake based on their web site info and purchased the standard ones with a spring rate 90/130 and with a lowered bike it just wasn't enough spring considering the limited travel on the 11.5" shock.

Quick Reply: progressive shocks