Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty repairing flats on Dunlop D402s?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Difficulty repairing flats on Dunlop D402s?

I found a small screw in the rear tire on my EG. Got the wheel off and called my indy, whose judgment I regard highly. He asked what kind of tire it was. When I told him Dunlop D402 he said he was reluctant to plug/patch it. Said there were liability issues, and that the compound in this tire sometimes would accept a patch and sometimes would not. He suggested putting a tube in it to run out the life of the tire--it's only got about 3K on it now.

This is the first I have heard about difficulty plug/patching this tire. I checked the Dunlop web site and they say it is OK to repair it under certain conditions, and that a plug/patch is the appropriate repair. I did a search here and found nothing specific.

I have no qualms about going with the tube, but he's got me curious. Ease of flat repair is something I would consider in buying my next tires. Anybody heard anything specific about this?

Old 08-25-2008, 11:59 AM
IBHarley
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealers most of the time just wont plug a motorcycle tire Liability issues

Old 08-25-2008, 12:11 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So why are liability issues a concern for a dealer / indy? Maybe because they and their insurance company don't want to increase the risk of their being sued when that patched tire fails and you injure / kill yourself. Since I am not keen to injure / kill myself for the sake of a couple of C notes, I would just replace the tire.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as I've been riding a plug in any motorcycle tire is intended for short term use only...just long enough to get you home or to the shop, then replace the tire. I've replaced more than one that had less than 1k miles on it because of a screw or nail. I've always felt that mine and the wife's life are worth considerably more than the cost of a new tire.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I've repaired D402's numerous times using a plug kit you can buy anywhere. As long as the hole isn't near or on the sidewall, you should never have a problem. I have plugs in both my front (D402) and rear (E3) tires at the moment.

I've heard the liability excuse before, and my dealer won't repair tires. My hunch it is more of a profit issue than liability, just like the policy of not installing tires not purchased from them. When they can sell you a $170 tire that's $50 overpriced, why should they plug it or install it when you purchased it somewhere else?

DIY. I keep a plug kit on the bike at all times, along with a small electrical pump. These two items have bailed my *** out twice in three years. On the road if you get a flat you either fix it there or tow it in.

I've heard arguments that plugging a tire can allow the puncture to expand or otherwise cause the tire to lose its integrity, but I have never seen evidence of this, even on steel-belted radials. I've also plugged many of them and never had a problem.

Last edited by iclick; 08-25-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:29 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've rode tens of thousands of miles on nail punctured tires with a tube put in them. Tubing is my choice of fix.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:50 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

I carry a small repair kit, and have patched small punctures. I replace the tires as soon as I get home, or to a repair shop. I don't have a LOT of tire, so what little I do have, I want to be right

Old 08-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Iclick, I also carry a plug kit (with the string plugs) and pump for emergency temporary repairs done with the tire still on the bike. Everything I have read specifies that these string plugs should not be regarded as a permanent repair.

In contrast, the patch-plug Dunlop specifies for a permanent repair is a COMBINATION patch-plug that requires dismounting the tire and installing from the inside. This is what has me puzzled--how could that thing fail? On the other hand, my indy is not even selling me a tube, much less a new tire. I can't see a profit motive lurking behind his advice.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:44 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

As already stated, why be so frigging cheap as to increase your risk, however slight that risk might be, over the price of a new tire? My suggestion is save the repairs for emergencies and buy new rubber asap.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Dr_Scoot
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XTrooper3936
As already stated, why be so frigging cheap as to increase your risk, however slight that risk might be, over the price of a new tire? My suggestion is save the repairs for emergencies and buy new rubber asap.
+1 I couldn't agree more

Quick Reply: Difficulty repairing flats on Dunlop D402s?