Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering an Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:34 AM
hammerhead32158
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering an Ultra

Anybody out there done this themselves? What do I need to buy? Any options? Will it work for me as I always ride two up? Any weight limitations? I am inseam challanged so I need to do something. Any other options without buying a different bike?

Old 08-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Rattle Can
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lowered my 07 an inch both front and rear. When it was just me on the bike I loved the way it rode and handled and I loved being able to flat foot it. It was fine even with a load of touring gear aboard. 2 up, it was still ok, but it wasn't as nice. I always had the shocks at max air and was always waiting to drag stuff. It worked out ok because it actually made me slow down in the twisties when the wife was with me, which made her happier, but I wasn't as happy with the bike as I was solo. Although, the flip side was that I was happy to be able to flat foot it when I was moving the bike around parking spots and slow speed stuff when I was 2 up.

I now have an 09 that I am on the ***** of my feet on. I am going to lower the back without doing the front and hopefully that will be ok because it looks like the new touring shocks may be slightly heavier, but I'm not sure it will stay that way.

I had the shop put the parts on the 07 because I didn't want to tear down the forks.

Good Luck.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 AM
hammerhead32158
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddha96
I lowered my 07 an inch both front and rear. When it was just me on the bike I loved the way it rode and handled and I loved being able to flat foot it. It was fine even with a load of touring gear aboard. 2 up, it was still ok, but it wasn't as nice. I always had the shocks at max air and was always waiting to drag stuff. It worked out ok because it actually made me slow down in the twisties when the wife was with me, which made her happier, but I wasn't as happy with the bike as I was solo. Although, the flip side was that I was happy to be able to flat foot it when I was moving the bike around parking spots and slow speed stuff when I was 2 up.

I now have an 09 that I am on the ***** of my feet on. I am going to lower the back without doing the front and hopefully that will be ok because it looks like the new touring shocks may be slightly heavier, but I'm not sure it will stay that way.

I had the shop put the parts on the 07 because I didn't want to tear down the forks.

Good Luck.
So, was that a kit for the front and the rear? How much was it with labor? What are they goint to do to lower just the back. I let most of the air out of my shock and now I can reach better but still not how I would like. The problem is that I'm afraid that I am going to damage the shock.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm thinking about lowering mine too, but am going to have Mean City Cycles rework the seat first to see if that gets me low enough. I won't mess with the suspension unless I have no other choice. MCC can drop your seating position nearly 2 inches and give you a more comfortably ride at the same time, at least from what I've heard here. I don't want to give up my seat until after riding season is over though.