Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking oil from clutch cable adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:38 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallston HD
It's leaking at the clutch cable adjustment, the strange thing id this fitting is above the trans.
Overfilled tranny possibly? The o-ring on the clutch cable can be bought separately and changed also.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:49 AM
1SG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you lubed the cable lately( at the clutch lever) if so over oiling could (maybe leak at adjuster) check your over flow rubber hose on left side top of trans, could be plugged up forcing oil up the cable (another maybe) I never heard of this so I'm just guessing.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Warden
Cruiser

My 07 leaks too. When I had my 10k service done and I got it back, you would have thought it was an oil line...... WTF? Oil all over the place, inside lower, bottom of inner fairing etc.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:31 AM
steveoh62
Cruiser

I am getting a leak also from the clutch cable adjustment on my '06 Super Glide Custom. It didn't start until I changed the fluids a month or so back. Is this oil that is being forced up the cable from the tranny?

Does anyone have an explanation as to why this occurs and how to prevent it from happening?

Old 09-19-2008, 07:44 AM
coolmac
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tranny oil is always laying in the bottom section of the clutch cable, that is normal.
Leaking at the tranny cover is the clutch cable joint where it is mated to the metal fitting, not the O ring seal between the fitting and tranny.
Replace the clutch cable, all will be good.
Pull down the protect sock and check it .
Oil level should never reach the adjuster.
Excessive cable lube would cause this.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:59 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad I have my 05

Old 09-19-2008, 08:40 AM
blamecanada
Advanced
Default Leak

Also have a leak on 07 cable at tranny. No drip or anything just a slow slow leak.
Dealer said 50 bucks for cable and about three hours to change as they have to drop the pipes to do it.
I'm new to the harley world and have no manual yet, so might have to have them do it. But good excuse to get the stage one done then

Old 09-19-2008, 09:06 AM
steveoh62
Cruiser

Just to be clear, oil is leaking at the adjustment screw near the left front downtube. I am seeing no leak where the clutch cable enters the tranny. Also, I have never lubed the clutch cable.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Rags722
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I can't speak for the 07's & 08's but know my 05 will gather a little crud ( road grime and oil) right where the cable goes in. Not actually a "LEAK" but a tiny bit of oil sweat. No big deal.
However, I have seen a number of complaints on other boards about trans fluid actually leaking out of the ADJUSTER half way up the cable. In every case, this has been traced back to a plugged tranny vent. Keep in mind, wasps and spiders seem to find that dark hole an invitation to build a nest that eventually plugs the vent, and when pressure builds it escapes through the cable.
Rags

Old 09-20-2008, 10:26 AM
blamecanada
Advanced
Thumbs up leak

My leak is the same as your Rags..... right at the tranny and it is very slow, not enuff to drip.
But good info on the vent tube. I'm sure other are checking theirs out now.

Quick Reply: Leaking oil from clutch cable adjustment