Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to charge me for an insurance estimate

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:37 PM
cms1528
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to charge me for an insurance estimate

So i had a tip over issue recently, some damage to my faring and lower left fairing. Its just some deep scratches. So I call a local dealer and ask them if they do insurance estimates. Yeah he says just drop it off in the morning and we will get it back to you the next day. WTF ??

This clown then goes on to say that it will take 2 to 3 hours. I said what for and he goes on to say that it has to be road tested, put up on the lift yada yada yada. HEY, dumb *** it fell over it didn't fall off a building, just give me an estimate for my insurance company. No sir all the other crap is required by law. Bull&$#% !!!

So I have to pay three hours labor for 5 mins work and this charge will be deducted after they fix the bike. Yeah right. So I call about four other dealers and the same story, except the law part. What a bunch of garbage. I never get over the stuff these idiots claim and say.

Here's the nice part I call State Farm and said I wanted to do my own repairs. No problem they say, except the repairs won't be guaranteed for life, no problem. So they tell me to bring it by one of their inspection locations. I get there, the man looks it over completely. He finds something I didn't see and then writes up an estimate using their parts computer and get this...he adds labor to the bill as well.

I said to him I was doing the work and he smiled and said, "don't you think your time is worth money." He estimated the labor rate at about $68 an hour. He cuts me a check for the parts needed and said if you get the faring off and see additional damage give us a call and we will work with you on it. Thank you State Farm.

Do they do this **** with BMW owners I wonder...

Last edited by cms1528; 08-23-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:46 PM
cirhere2
Road Captain
Default great

good to hear a nice story always

Old 08-24-2008, 01:01 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I run into this DAILY - HD dealers always charge 3 Hr Labor for any damage estimate even a small scratch??? - But are to reduce it if they do the repairs - most don't because it's not enforced "YET" here in Calif. But it's coming soon...

Old 08-24-2008, 03:08 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They charge this amount so you don't come in, get an estimate and then do the repairs yourself(like you plan on doing). Then they make no money.

I don't see a problem with it.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:08 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Unome
They charge this amount so you don't come in, get an estimate and then do the repairs yourself(like you plan on doing). Then they make no money.

I don't see a problem with it.
I do see a problem with it. It's called extortion. You are going to them for a service, i.e., an insurance estimate. That is ALL they should charge you for. You have no obligation to have them fix it nor do they have any right to try and force you to by extorting money.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:21 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

AHH Extortion Did u think ud get a break and they would do it for free?? Buisness is buisness...

Old 08-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Jager
Cruiser

I'm not surprised the dealer would want to charge you for an insurance estimate. They're not running a charity, after all.

Had you gone to your insurance company first, and had they not had their own local inspection station, they'd have paid the dealer for the estimate.

As to whether it should take five minutes or a couple hours, I assume they have a standard protocol they follow (basically amounting to a complete, comprehensive inspection of the bike). And, yes, that's how BMW riders get treated (I have a couple of those).

I'm actually most surprised at the casual way State Farm handled this. Good deal for you, since you were obviously looking for a quick inspection and some money, but the notion that "just come on back once you get the fairing off if you see other damage" is pretty unusual.

Hidden damage is quite common when a vehicle falls or crashes - even in what appear to have been very minor events. I'm not surprised most dealers and most insurance inspectors would err on the side of doing it right the first time. Glad it worked out for you, the way you wanted, but I wouldn't count on that in the future.

Last edited by Jager; 08-24-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:33 AM
newrench
Cruiser

We charge a hour the tech brings the bike it in does a complete estimate then gives it to the parts dept. and they look up all the parts and double check it with the tech. then they print the estimate. You think this should be free and it takes only five minutes??? you drop your bike and your calling him a dumbass because it will take a day to do the estimate? The reason they charge you is because a lot of customers will get the estimate from the dealer then leave and do the work themselves and the dealer eats the labor. Dealers should do it for free and that same day?? I waited two weeks for the body shop to get a estimate done on my vette and they charged me to do it, go figure!!!
"extortion" give me a break you charge someone for your time and its called extortion??

Maybe all the the dealers should do everybodys crash estimates for free, then people can complaine about having to wait for the fuel shell recall because the dealer is to busy doing free estimates.

Last edited by newrench; 08-24-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:48 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Every body shop that I have ever dealt with gives free estimates.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:50 AM
newrench
Cruiser

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Every body shop that I have ever dealt with gives free estimates.
If you do the work yourself???

Quick Reply: Want to charge me for an insurance estimate