Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to charge me for an insurance estimate

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:07 AM
newrench
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky 13
The dealer has to pay someone to do an estimate, pay for the software and pay for the printer and forms. Why would anyone expect this to be his expence? Though 3 hours just might be a little excessive. On the other hand, The insurance company already has your money and part of your premium pays the adjusters wages. So the insurance company gets paid to do an estimate. Shouldn't the dealer?
Not in "todays bikers" world..

Old 08-25-2008, 05:30 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Jager
Had you gone to your insurance company first, and had they not had their own local inspection station, they'd have paid the dealer for the estimate.
No way State Farm or any other insurer is paying a shop for an estimate.

An estimate based on a visual inspection only, with no tear down, takes minutes, not hours.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:42 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jager
I'm actually most surprised at the casual way State Farm handled this. Good deal for you, since you were obviously looking for a quick inspection and some money, but the notion that "just come on back once you get the fairing off if you see other damage" is pretty unusual.

Hidden damage is quite common when a vehicle falls or crashes - even in what appear to have been very minor events. I'm not surprised most dealers and most insurance inspectors would err on the side of doing it right the first time. Glad it worked out for you, the way you wanted, but I wouldn't count on that in the future.
Actually, it's not at all unusual. What would be unusual would be the initial estimate being 100% dead on and no supplements required. The average claim involves two supplements, even in shops that do a complete tear down when writing the estimate. As you indicate, hidden damage is quite common. That being true, it would be impossible to do a repair if the supplement process didn't exist.

Had he gone back the estimator would have written a supplement to cover the damage.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:07 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

The thing I can see is bike shops are not body shops.
In most cases, if I had sheetmetal/fiberglass and paint damage, I would not want a dealer bike shop to touch it. However, mechanical damage is another story. Supposedly, there is where their expertise lies.
body shops give free estimates because they are competing for your business.
dealer bike shops do not really want your crash or repair business.
Service departments are a necessary evil, as far as dealers are concerned. They cost way more to operate than the dollars they generate.
Dealers, of any sort, would much rather just sell vehicles, parts, and trinkets. That is where the money is.
They charge a fee because of the above stated reasons.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:21 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossman1
AHH Extortion Did u think ud get a break and they would do it for free?? Buisness is buisness...
Slowly reread what I typed and you'll see that I have no problem with a dealership charging a fair price for an estimate and stated as much. What I object to and yes, what IS extortion, is overcharging to ensure that you return to have the repair work done there.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent several years in the insurance industry writing estimates and adjusting claims for autos and motorcycles. We would never pay a shop for an estimate, ever - mechanical, body, etc. We also never required someone to provide their own estimate and it did not matter if they wanted to do the work themselves. It certainly does not surprise me that a stealer would want to get paid for it, and to claim it takes a day to give you an estimate. They are just that good (sarcasm). Anybody that claims it takes that long to do it, especially with the computer estimating software these days, is (shall I be kind here) mis-informed. I could write a hard hit with a calculator and a Mitchell manual in less than 1/2 hour.

As for State Farm's actions: I used to estimate damage in a claimant's driveway and hand them a check before I left. Motorcycles were a little different only because you needed to gets part prices. Supplements for hidden or additional damage are not unusual, especially in harder hits.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:29 AM
newrench
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
No way State Farm or any other insurer is paying a shop for an estimate.

An estimate based on a visual inspection only, with no tear down, takes minutes, not hours.

Minutes ??? we have a bike out back that got hit by a truck and it only should take minutes to do a visual estimate?? Come on lets be real about things!! would you only want the tech to take "minutes" on your $20,000 investment?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:41 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by newrench
Minutes ??? we have a bike out back that got hit by a truck and it only should take minutes to do a visual estimate?? Come on lets be real about things!! would you only want the tech to take "minutes" on your $20,000 investment?
Yes, minutes. ... maybe 30 of them or so.

If someone took longer than that, I'd surmise they were inexperienced and take my bike elsewhere.