Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to charge me for an insurance estimate

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:57 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by newrench
We charge a hour the tech brings the bike it in does a complete estimate then gives it to the parts dept. and they look up all the parts and double check it with the tech. then they print the estimate. You think this should be free and it takes only five minutes??? you drop your bike and your calling him a dumbass because it will take a day to do the estimate? The reason they charge you is because a lot of customers will get the estimate from the dealer then leave and do the work themselves and the dealer eats the labor. Dealers should do it for free and that same day?? I waited two weeks for the body shop to get a estimate done on my vette and they charged me to do it, go figure!!!
"extortion" give me a break you charge someone for your time and its called extortion??

Maybe all the the dealers should do everybodys crash estimates for free, then people can complaine about having to wait for the fuel shell recall because the dealer is to busy doing free estimates.
Exactly, so true. Our shop does give a break to our customers. A flat $45 fee no matter how long it takes to write the estimate, but thats because the owner is a jewel of a lady. All too frequently though she see's jobs go out the door after she's given them a break on the estimate cost to someone else that will do the work "cheaper". Guess being nice costs her money.

To the original poster, there's always two sides to every story.

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 08-24-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:00 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Standard procedure. I was charged for one hour.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:03 AM
newrench
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
Exactly. Our shop does give a break to our customers. A flat $45 fee no matter how long it takes to write the estimate, but thats because the owner is a jewel of a lady. All too frequently though she see's jobs go out the door after she's given them a break on the estimate cost to someone else that will do the work "cheaper". Guess being nice costs her money. Two sides to every story.

yes there is two sides, we have to take the time to go over the estimate with the adjuster when thy show up a week later as well. If you get the work done at our dealership we wont charge you for the estimate. if you drive or haul your bike out the door without having us do the repairs that is fine, but we need to be paid for our time.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:13 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by newrench
yes there is two sides, we have to take the time to go over the estimate with the adjuster when thy show up a week later as well. If you get the work done at our dealership we wont charge you for the estimate. if you drive or haul your bike out the door without having us do the repairs that is fine, but we need to be paid for our time.
I agree. There's a bit more involved when examining a bike than most people know. The one time a dealership would zip one in and zip it out meeting the demands of an uninformed customer, if that said customer gets killed because something got overlooked, who's getting sued then?

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 08-24-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:27 AM
cms1528
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Unome
They charge this amount so you don't come in, get an estimate and then do the repairs yourself(like you plan on doing). Then they make no money.

I don't see a problem with it.

Could you imagine if you had an insurance company or the other guy did and wanted at least three estimates up front, it happens. True you'll get your money back soon enough but how happy would you be if you had to put out say $600 first for those estimates. Have to run into this problem with a car, I imagine it happens somewhere but never my experience.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:30 AM
cms1528
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jager
I'm not surprised the dealer would want to charge you for an insurance estimate. They're not running a charity, after all.

Had you gone to your insurance company first, and had they not had their own local inspection station, they'd have paid the dealer for the estimate.

As to whether it should take five minutes or a couple hours, I assume they have a standard protocol they follow (basically amounting to a complete, comprehensive inspection of the bike). And, yes, that's how BMW riders get treated (I have a couple of those).

I'm actually most surprised at the casual way State Farm handled this. Good deal for you, since you were obviously looking for a quick inspection and some money, but the notion that "just come on back once you get the fairing off if you see other damage" is pretty unusual.

Hidden damage is quite common when a vehicle falls or crashes - even in what appear to have been very minor events. I'm not surprised most dealers and most insurance inspectors would err on the side of doing it right the first time. Glad it worked out for you, the way you wanted, but I wouldn't count on that in the future.
Okay, please show me a body shop that charges to give insurance estimate.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:49 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Why do body shops give free estimates and Harley dealers dont?

Even if there is a valid explanation,2-3 hrs for visual scratches is overboard.
I took my Corrolla in for scratches(keyed).It took no more than a 1/2 hr for a FREE written estimate.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 08-24-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:50 AM
mkusky
Advanced

first thing i do is call my ins co. that's what i pay them for . it's thier job to figure all that out. imo

Old 08-24-2008, 09:03 AM
newrench
Cruiser

the insurance adjuster gets crapped on by the customer as well they tell us about it all the time.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:04 AM
olgoat
Advanced

I work in a body shop here in PA. Estamates are always free. You treat the customer right and most times they bring the work to you. some chose to take the money. Its their vehicle and if money looks better than their vehicle to them its there choice! Most of these people will buy the parts from the dealers if they chose to do their own repairs. The dealer makes money off the parts. Hidden damage is somthing that comes up all the time in this buisness and insurance companys know this and its not a problem as long as its really from the wreck. Trust me they are not dumb. People try to pull all kinds of crap to get something for nothing.

Quick Reply: Want to charge me for an insurance estimate