Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New wide windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008 | 12:35 PM
lazybee
Tourer

i just installed a 10in Saturday. I really like it. I hate to hear some are cracking.

Old 10-13-2008 | 01:57 PM
hawg08
Road Master

Originally Posted by jeepster09
I had 4 of their great windshields.....everyone one of them broke.....I did love them for the extra protection they gave.....they are not designed properly and everyone cracked in the corner near the screw hole due to flexing in the wind. Great company warranteed everyone but I got sick of changing them; I went to a Memphis Shades windshield and never had another bit of problem.
The extra wing needs some time of support to keep it from flexing in the wind or perhaps if they were made out of a different material the problem would go away.
Maybe you're tightening the screws too tight. Just a thought. I've had two and not a problem with either one.

Old 10-13-2008 | 03:02 PM
Mars
|
Cruiser
Cool

Originally Posted by King Crimson
Not sure about the "far less dorky" part
I am. That tall windshield is Dorkus Maximus.

Old 10-13-2008 | 10:25 PM
quackhead
Road Master

ive had a 6.5" halfmoon on the SG for over a year and havent had any proplems with it cracking. even had it 100 plus numerous times with no problems. im gonna order a 10" halfmoon for the cooler temps coming soon then go back to shorter one in the spring.

Old 11-04-2008 | 06:05 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Placed an order for the 10" HM lite tint smoked mar windshield from Robin and Pat at Clark's Custom Windshields. It shipped on Monday.

This windshield will go along with the HD Sundowner seat for the long rides.

Old 11-06-2008 | 10:10 PM
hotshot
Tourer

I've got about 2k miles on my bike since I changed windshields, with no problems. Still loving it.

Anyone having issues with these shields should contact Robin and Pat. They will make it right.

Old 02-16-2009 | 04:38 PM
Captain Ron
Novice
Cool Windshield Material

I just tried a new shield design for my 04 Ultra. It didn't go as well as I wanted but I did learn something and wanted to pass it on.

The shield was a tinted 6" model with a formed flare at the top to aid in sending wind over your head without a taller model in front of you (brand name withheld). The first thing I noticed is this companies dark smoke tint was what I call "Bronze" color, not even close to black or smoked gray. It looked pretty bad in my opinion especially on my black bike. I figure I would give it a try anyway to see how it performed. The fit wasn't that good, the cut outs for the attach points didn't line up like the HD shield. I thought I had it lined up after a careful battle but... CRACK! It would not get into the position that is needed to clear the screw seating area. Not sure if it was misaligned but I did notice there was barely any pressure, screws were still pretty lose and is cracked real easy. I have installed many shields before and never had this happen, I am trying to say that I don't think it was my fault?

I took it out and noticed that the material seemed much different from the HD and other shields I already had. Very stiff feeling, brittle sounding when tapped. I contacted the manufacture and was told it was an "acrylic" plactic. I think that is similar to a plexiglass plastic. I know most all the others I see are made of Lexan and are much more resiliant to flexing. They weren't happy with my call but offered to take it back. In the end I spent $20 on shipping to try this and I learned to stay with Lexan products. If you are shopping check to see if it is a Lexan plastic, like HD and other manufactures use. I don't see it cracking as easy as this did.

Last edited by Captain Ron; 02-16-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2009 | 04:51 PM
hawg08
Road Master

Originally Posted by BugBYter
I have one of those on my bike "Halfmoon Wings". Love it. I have the 10" light smoke version. I've rode over 4000 miles with it. One of their advertised features is that the reduced wind lets you hear the radio better and it actually does. Also makes a noticeable difference in wind/radio for the passenger.

Would I buy one again? Yes. But I might go with an 11" next time.

http://www.customflhtwindshields.net/
Exactly what I have on my SG. I'll never have one of the HD windshields again. The radio thing is the most amazing thing to me...it REALLY DOES work.

Old 02-16-2009 | 05:05 PM
jeg1
Tourer

I orded one of those last week and looking forward to try it.

Old 02-16-2009 | 05:21 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

I think it looks great what brand is it??ride safe

Quick Reply: New wide windshield