Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two more pleasant 09 surprises

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 05:48 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Two more pleasant 09 surprises

Two more things I have found improvements with on my 09 Streetglide.

First, the rear shocks are a WHOLE new animal. They are MUCH stronger. On all my other bikes, I would run 1/2 - 2/3 of full capacity of air, just when riding solo. Two Up I had them maxed out, and they will still be sagging and bottoming and have me wishing I could add more air. (Im 210 and the wife is 140)

The new shocks, I am running 5-10 lbs solo, and 25-30 two up, which leaves a full 20 lbs more air that can be added if needed! They are no longer maxed out at the limit all the time. Also note that now the 12" low profile AND the 13" standard shocks BOTH max out at 50 lbs, whereas before, the 13" shocks topped out at 33 lbs. They are MUCH more beefy shocks, and no longer have you running air at the upper limit all the time to get a decent ride.

Second, It appears that HD has listened to the bitching about their rider backrests, and have re-designed the bracket (on the fixed mount at least) to allow the backrest to be positioned back further, so it does not shove you out of the "bucket" of your seat. This is exactly why I never liked the HD backrests.

This shows the change to the rider backrest bracket, between the 09 (mounted on bike) and the older version (along side). Note that the older version, when positioned on the same hole (second from front) is over an inch further forward than the new bracket. Also, because its further back on the "curve" of the fender, its angled backward a bit more...so the backrest is not so bolt upright, but a bit more leaned back. And even when positioned on the rearmost hole, is still further forward than the 09 version that still has one more position to move back to:

Last edited by flyingace; 08-23-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:53 PM
hitone
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please stop! I really do love my 2007 Street Glide but it is getting old fast!
Seriously, I have yet to see one in person but that day will come and then I may be in real trouble. Glad you are glad!

Old 08-23-2008, 06:08 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Frikken stop with these updates.... until I get mine in 3 weeks.

Is the backrest the same, can I just buy the new bracket or do I have to get a whole new set up?

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace
Two more things I have found improvements with on my 09 Streetglide.

First, the rear shocks are a WHOLE new animal. They are MUCH stronger. On all my other bikes, I would run 1/2 - 2/3 of full capacity of air, just when riding solo. Two Up I had them maxed out, and they will still be sagging and bottoming and have me wishing I could add more air. (Im 210 and the wife is 140)

The new shocks, I am running 5-10 lbs solo, and 25-30 two up, which leaves a full 20 lbs more air that can be added if needed! They are no longer maxed out at the limit all the time. Also note that now the 12" low profile AND the 13" standard shocks BOTH max out at 50 lbs, whereas before, the 13" shocks topped out at 33 lbs. They are MUCH more beefy shocks, and no longer have you running air at the upper limit all the time to get a decent ride.

Second, It appears that HD has listened to the bitching about their rider backrests, and have re-designed the bracket (on the fixed mount at least) to allow the backrest to be positioned back further, so it does not shove you out of the "bucket" of your seat. This is exactly why I never liked the HD backrests.

This shows the change to the rider backrest bracket, between the 09 (mounted on bike) and the older version (along side). Note that the older version, when positioned on the same hole (second from front) is over an inch further forward than the new bracket. And even when positioned on the rearmost hole, is still further forward than the 09 version that still has one more position to move back to:

Old 08-23-2008, 06:09 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hitone
Please stop! I really do love my 2007 Street Glide but it is getting old fast!
Seriously, I have yet to see one in person but that day will come and then I may be in real trouble. Glad you are glad!
Sorry bud. I certainly don't want to come across as bashing 08 and older bikes, (had 3) Just hoping to help people make informed decisions if they are considering it. Loved my 07 too, but damn, Im a happy (er) camper now.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 174 Posts

Flyingace I have enjoyed all your helpful info about the 09 SG. Now all I need to do is to get a buyer for my 02 RK.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:12 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Frikken stop with these updates.... until I get mine in 3 weeks.

Is the backrest the same, can I just buy the new bracket or do I have to get a whole new set up?
Backrest is the same. You just need a new bracket. $30. (order it now, they are supposedly still hard to get and in short supply.. they tell me I lucked out) The front mounting point is also MUCH less mickey mouse than before.

You will note in the catalog, that the backrests are now sold separately from the brackets.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:16 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Xcrossbow
Flyingace I have enjoyed all your helpful info about the 09 SG. Now all I need to do is to get a buyer for my 02 RK.
Ebay bud. National exposure. Do a fixed price sale and be realistic, and It will sell. They only charge about $60 for a bike sale, flat rate. (does not fluctuate with the sales price)

Just be VERY specific about payment/pickup terms. I REQUIRED a bank to bank transfer, no certified checks, money orders, or ANYTHING that could be forged. From his bank, to my bank. I have proof of funds, he has proof he paid. And absolutely NO sale outside of the US.

Done it twice, worked great both times. Just cover your *** on the listing, and on the payment/delivery terms.

Last edited by flyingace; 08-23-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:28 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Should I not bring up how the new detachable tour pak mount seems to be about an inch further back, and a half inch higher up? (more comfort for the passenger)

Old 08-23-2008, 06:40 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys are killing me with the new 09 options. I'm hanging tough for the 2010, like I promised myself about buying the first year model. Hope that nothing is discovered and needed to be changed in 2010, as I know I'll be happy with that baby. Enjoy, and keep keepin' us updated.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:45 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Bigsky what happens if it is a water cooled bike in 010? I actually thought about that when I seen they beefed up the frame and put the goldwing exhaust on it.

Quick Reply: Two more pleasant 09 surprises