Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rode All 09 Bikes One After Another

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Isshinryu
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rode All 09 Bikes One After Another

Killer Creek HD had a demo day and I got to ride all the 09's one right after another. It was great to feel all the different bikes. The 09 touring line is so much improved it is amazing.

I rode the ultra, road glide, road king and street glide. All much improved and all have a unique feel. For me the street glide was hands down the best of the bunch. I could feel it as soon as I started moving. Solid as a rock and smooth. I have an 06 street glide and the difference is significant. The smoothness of the bike is hard to describe you just have to ride it to see. It had a very solid feel no looseness at all and about 10% of the vibration that my 06 has. The handling was really improved. I was shocked at how smooth the bike was.

I put the anti lock brakes to the test, slammed front and rear at 50mph. It mad a loud click then came to a fast stop. I could steer while on full brake. A must have option for safety in my mind.

I also rode the heritage, great riding position but way to much vibration in the handlebars for my taste. The fat bob and street bob were fun fast little bikes.

I cant say enough about the street glide, for me it is the perfect bike. As soon as finances allow I will have an 09 FLHX. To me they really are that much better.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:49 PM
swirvin1234
Advanced

I just ordered an 09 Road King. Haven't ridden the 09's yet, only 08's, any insight about the RK's ride and experience. Thanks!

Old 08-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Isshinryu
Tourer

Originally Posted by swirvin1234
I just ordered an 09 Road King. Haven't ridden the 09's yet, only 08's, any insight about the RK's ride and experience. Thanks!
The 09 RK is so much better than 08 in my opinion. It is better looking and it is a superior ride and handling. The frame welds are perfect, by robot, no bent tubes. The swing arm is much larger and there are 4 motor mounts. The one I rode was great. They also changed the sprockets and gearing to make it faster in 1st gear. I liked the road king very much. You cant go wrong with a road king.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Phlip96
Outstanding HDF Member

Drooooool

Old 08-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

the 96/6 wasnt enough to make me want a new Road King.

the standard IDS on the 08's wasnt enough... nor were the brembos/abs

i dont think the redesigned frame/swingarm would be enough to persuade me either.

im quite happy with my "old" 06

Old 08-23-2008, 05:20 PM
swirvin1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by Isshinryu
The 09 RK is so much better than 08 in my opinion. It is better looking and it is a superior ride and handling. The frame welds are perfect, by robot, no bent tubes. The swing arm is much larger and there are 4 motor mounts. The one I rode was great. They also changed the sprockets and gearing to make it faster in 1st gear. I liked the road king very much. You cant go wrong with a road king.

Isshinryu, thanks for the feedback! I was torn between the 08's and the 09's, but after riding the 08 and seeing a 09 RKC, I was sold on the 09. Now I just have to wait another month for it's arrival!

Old 08-23-2008, 09:22 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the money was there............my '05 would be gone and there would be an '09 in the garage.

All the changes are just that huge to make it worth it..........but since the money isn't there, and my '05 is exactly how I want it, I'm going to keep on riding the snot out of it.

Steve

Old 08-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Isshinryu
Killer Creek HD had a demo day and I got to ride all the 09's one right after another. It was great to feel all the different bikes. The 09 touring line is so much improved it is amazing.

I rode the ultra, road glide, road king and street glide. All much improved and all have a unique feel. For me the street glide was hands down the best of the bunch. I could feel it as soon as I started moving. Solid as a rock and smooth. I have an 06 street glide and the difference is significant. The smoothness of the bike is hard to describe you just have to ride it to see. It had a very solid feel no looseness at all and about 10% of the vibration that my 06 has. The handling was really improved. I was shocked at how smooth the bike was.

I put the anti lock brakes to the test, slammed front and rear at 50mph. It mad a loud click then came to a fast stop. I could steer while on full brake. A must have option for safety in my mind.

I also rode the heritage, great riding position but way to much vibration in the handlebars for my taste. The fat bob and street bob were fun fast little bikes.

I cant say enough about the street glide, for me it is the perfect bike. As soon as finances allow I will have an 09 FLHX. To me they really are that much better.
Wish I had known which of the riders you are since I led almost all of those demo rides. We stopped a couple of hours early because of some light rain, but had every bike out practically every time--lots of folks wanting to ride the '09's (me included).

I was most impressed with the new gearing in the touring model six speeds--maybe not a big numerical gear ratio change, but definitely much smoother to launch and ride at 45-50 mph than the many '08's I rode at previous demo days.

Nothing scientific, but judging by the reduced "shake" in the images in the mirrors on the Touring bikes, and "butt" sensor, I'd say there is a noticeable reduction in vibration compared to the '08's.

The ABS works--I tried a couple of times during the rides to lock-up the rear tire on the Ultra and Road King Classic and couldn't.

Regrettably, we didn't have an '09 Road Glide to ride--we did have an '08 Anniversary Road Glide which was very nice. Killer Creek has two SE Road Glides pre-sold to customers, and I doubt I'll ever see an SE RG at a demo day. One rider came just to ride an RG, but settled for the '08--he's planning to trade his '06 SE Ultra for an SE RG. Frankly, I was surprised the pewter Street Glide was available. If it was black, it would have been long gone as two or three have already been received and sold within 24-36 hours.

The Ultra was a sweet looking bike--don't know the color names but it was a maroon/cream two-tone. Everyone who rode it, and the Road King Classic and Street Glide got back from their rides with huge grins.

I didn't realize previously how poor the OEM speakers are in the Ultra and Street Glide; pity HD hasn't addressed these considering the price of the bikes and relatively modest expense involved with a better speaker.

Can't say that I paid much attention to the non-touring bikes I rode today. The Softail Deluxe was a great traditional looking Harley in teal/cream; fat white walls; laced wheels, etc.

And there wasn't a V-Rod.

Fortunately, every one rode well; no dropped bikes; etc. Pity the rain came--I brought my digital camera intending to take and post pics, but from the minute I arrived it was time to ride; at the completion of each ride folks just picked additional bikes to ride and it was time to go. When the rain came the bikes were promptly moved indoors.

My bottom line opinion: the '09's are a significant improvement over the '08's (primarily due to the better gearing and smoother ride), but not soooo much better that I will go to sleep tonight trying to rationalize trading in my '04 EG for an '09 model.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
If the money was there............my '05 would be gone and there would be an '09 in the garage.

All the changes are just that huge to make it worth it..........but since the money isn't there, and my '05 is exactly how I want it, I'm going to keep on riding the snot out of it.

Steve
And why not? That's a sweet looking ride, enjoy it!

Old 08-23-2008, 10:27 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic

Steve
I agree. Once you buy a bike and invest so much time and money, it's hard to imagine starting over with a new bike, especially when the bike is as nice as yours. I checked out your website and I must say that your bike is among the nicest I've seen. A friend from Canada, named Wally who is a member here has a 1999 Ultra Classic in Vivid Black/Metallic (dark) green. It's also a beautiful machine, in fact one of my favorites. He sent me some photos which I used as a screensaver and wallpaper.

I had an '03 which was pretty much completed and looked the way I wanted, but then it was totalled in an accident. So now I'm riding an '08 Ultra. Lots of upgrades/improvements (from the MoCo) to the '08 compared to my '03 , but I still haven't finished with all of my touches yet.

Last edited by tda69; 08-23-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Rode All 09 Bikes One After Another