Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have a Mustang 1 piece touring seat on an 08?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008 | 04:05 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ww1flyingace.... I'm shopping for a seat currently and have a similar need as you, wanting to be a little further back. My question for you is, why would the two piece be any different than the one piece. I'm looking at two piece seats and can't decide. I tried a Sundowner Solo and it moved me forward around 2"s.

Old 08-23-2008 | 04:47 PM
flyingace
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by xcv8tor
I actully saw it in front of the dealership on State Street on thursday afternoon (i think). I had to go down and pick up my Liscence Plate for my bike. It looked like it just got painted and was out in the sun. The hardware wasnt all back on yet. I just wanted to see it all finished.
Ahhh...

Well, It WAS there on thurs, but it DID have the trunk on it. I think I was there earlier in the week, without the trunk on though...thats probably when you saw it.

Last edited by flyingace; 08-23-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2008 | 05:09 PM
flyingace
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Yachtman
ww1flyingace.... I'm shopping for a seat currently and have a similar need as you, wanting to be a little further back. My question for you is, why would the two piece be any different than the one piece. I'm looking at two piece seats and can't decide. I tried a Sundowner Solo and it moved me forward around 2"s.
Its just the way they are made. The larger Mustang 1 piece is pretty much the same as the stock touring seats as far as distance to the bars, etc. The TWO piece mustang will drop you an inch or more, and move you back about the same amount.

When I had my 07, I had tried 5 different seats:

1. Stock: useless

2. 07 Sundowner:I loved it, wife hated it...passenger section was very small and too firm

3. Ultimate Seat: memory foam seat. wife loved it, excellent comfort from the memory foam, but my butt just didnt fit it very well. Also not a very nice looking seat.

4. Mustang 1 piece: very good, very roomy, very cushy. Had some gel put into the back section and some of the edges rounded off for the wife's comfort, and had my section lowered and moved back about 3/4 and 1/2 respectively. Was happy with everything but the backrest (see below)

5. Mustang 2 Piece: Not as cushy as the one piece, but still very good. I got the 13" passenger section. Not as big as the one piece, but the wife was still happy. The big benefit for me, was that they make a backrest support that leans back an additional 2 inches compared to the one for the 1 piece seat. I did like the more rearward and down position of this seat as well, except then it was a BIT of a reach to the bars.

Now, part of the problems/issues with all the first four seats was the rider backrest. I tried BOTH of the HD styles, adjustable and non, and neither one was worth a damn for me. WAY too far forward, and too upright, even and the most rearward position. They would shove me so far forward in the seat, that I was not sitting on the most comfortable part of any of them. The backrest would shove me out of the "bucket" of the seat and forward where the seat has less padding. The mustang 1 piece backrest was better, but still not quite where I wanted it. This is one reason the mustang 2 piece was the one I kept, because of the rider backrest with the offset post that lets it lean back more.

Now, on my 09, I have the pleasant surprise, that HD has apparently been listening, and has reworked their fixed backrest mounting bracket, allowing it to move back further, which combined with my 08 Sundowner, keeps my butt in the pocket of the seat, and is comfortable. This is good, as HD is the only one who offers a SMALL driver backrest, one that does not interfere with the wifes legroom in the back. I just moved it back 1 more setting on the bracket, and IM pretty happy with the Sundowner/backrest combo now, as it was the backrest forcing me further forward than I wanted to be, not the seat. I MAY try the Mustang 1 piece again, as I think its better padded, and better built, and it will work with the HD backrest I have. (the 2 piece Mustang requires its own backrest) But Im gonna take the Sundower out for a good 200 mile or more day before I decide.

In addition, the 08-09 version of the Sundowner is MUCH larger in the back section than the older version of the seat, which is the reason I tried it first before going strait to the Mustang on this bike, as I remembered how much I liked the older one, It was the wife's part that caused me to get rid of it.

If your looking for a seat for an 07 or older, this site I put together can help you make some comparisions. Unfortunatly, the one seat I never got to measure was the stock Ultra and or Roadking seats, and I have since sold the 07, but Maybe I will go down to the dealer and take some photos/measurements on one of their rentals to add to my page. The other seat I have no experience with, is the Mustang 1 piece SPORT touring seat. This seat is 15" wide for the rider, and 11" wide for the passenger, and If I were betting, I would bet it sits roughly the same as the two piece. This one would have been perfect for me, IF the rear section was wider. IF you call SUE at mustang seats, she can tell you how the various models sit compared to each other. But make sure you talk to SUE. The other girl I spoke to once was clueless. Also, if you order DIRECT from either Mustang or Ultimate seats, they will give you ten days to return the seat if you don't like it. But ONLY if you buy directly from them.

Here is my seat comparison site:

http://home.comcast.net/~kceder/seats.html

My 09 with the Sundowner seat, and screaming eagle style rider backrest:

Last edited by flyingace; 08-23-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2008 | 05:39 PM
flyingace
|
Outstanding HDF Member

This shows the change to the rider backrest bracket, between the 09 (on bike) and the older version. Note that the older version, when positioned on the same hole (second from front) is over an inch further forward than the new bracket. And even when positioned on the rearmost hole, is still further forward than the 09 version that still has one more position to move back to. Also, because the new bracket fits further back on the curve of the fender, it is angled backwards slightly more, so its not as bolt upright as prev years:

Last edited by flyingace; 08-23-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2008 | 07:20 PM
Sketz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Excellent job!! Thank you for your time for doing all that work - very informative - thank you!

Old 08-23-2008 | 08:22 PM
flyingace
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you. When I was looking at seats, I read so many contradictory posts about how this one or that one sat you forward, back, up, down, etc, I decided to try and put some numbers to it to try and save someone else the headache down the road. I just wish I could have got my hands on a stock Ultra, and Roadking seat to add to the mix.

Old 08-24-2008 | 09:10 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello ww1flyingace. That was a great report. As someone who is having big time difficulties picking a seat, I really appreciate what you went through picking one, and doing the excellent job putting that information together. And with photographs!!

I think I'm going to go with the Mustang Sole, but with the Corbin Solo still a possibilty, only because of being able to order one with different leather types and colors. I'm two hours south of Corbin here in Florida, but the ride would kill my butt getting there to try a seat on my bike.

I have a 2001 Road King with the standard seat and pillion, so if you want photos or measurements, I'll take them for you.

Again, I really appreciate the help and information, as I'm sure others do also.

Great Job!!

Robert