Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Shakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:34 PM
kyBriar
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry The Shakes

Ok guy's I built my engine up to 95" with Screaming Eagle heads and a Woods 575 gear cam. I run the ThunderMax on the map they gave me. It runs like CRAP! I have done everything everybody has told me and it still runs like CRAP! What would make it run and shake like a dog crapping a peach seed? I am running the best of everything but to no avail. D&D dualls-Bub Seven Mufflers-Big Sucker air cleaner. What am I doing wrong? This is my first Harley and it will be my last if I can't find a way to make this thing run right. Thanks for any info you guy's can give me.
Frustrated is not the word.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:39 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take it to a good dyno tuner and get it tuned, it is money well spent. There are a lot of plug and play maps that do not work well. Where do you live, it will help get the names of some good tuners for you.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Firstly , relax and check the work 1 thing at a time.
Pull the plugs and see if one is not firing.
Check cranking compression and see if one is 10% lower than the other (and within spec).
Check for vacuum leaks at the intake gaskets.
Maybe a pushrod is too tightly adjusted.
If you're really pissed off , walk away till you're not , and systematically diagnose each step that might have gone wrong.
A patient and systematic approach to any problem with a build like this is the best way to find the problem.
Hopefully it's just something dumb and inexpensive that was overlooked.
Good luck with your quest....
Mick

Old 08-22-2008, 10:01 PM
kyBriar
Advanced

Well I live in California and there are no tuners for ThunderMax here. I took the bike back to the dealer that did the build but they say nothing is wrong. All I know is when it gets hot it runs that way. It runs half way decent in the mornings when it's 58 degrees but in the afternoon when it's 95 and up is the problem.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Assuming the build is OK and soundly assembled , the description of the problem would lead you to think the map is probably wrong for your build.
I would try contacting the company for support.
http://www.thunder-max.com/Support/F...onSupport.aspx
The more accurate your description of the problem is , will help to nail down the cause.
You could assume that the map is pretty close when the engine is cold and when it heats up and goes closed loop , the problem starts.
Possibly (if this is an auto tuning setup) the oxygen sensors are not giving accurate feedback when warm which could cause this.
Most computers (on a cold start) have to "assume" the correct running conditions and run solely by a preset map.
When the engine warms up (and the oxygen sensors start to read properly) the parameters change and the tune goes to crap rather than run better as it should.
I don't know about the tmax , but in the car repair business , this is how I would attack a running problem like this.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Mick

Old 08-23-2008, 08:31 AM
asuperheat
Road Master

could be the map also could be the timing on the cams are off, if they are off a tooth then seems to me it would run similar to what you describe. Only way to tell is open the cam cover pull the cam plate and check it. the cams have timing marks on them also have to make sure the timing is matched on the crankshaft chain or gear drive dont mater it has to be right. Good Luck.