Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why is the cigarette lighter not HOT for a battery tender?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008 | 04:15 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Same here---and you wire it direct to the battery, not the fuse box. Nothing to get flustered about.

Old 08-21-2008 | 05:11 PM
rkadair
Tourer

Mine came pre wire pigtail is sticking out

Old 08-22-2008 | 12:17 AM
whatzleft
Cruiser

I'm with Roadking Al.... the only time I use my tender is in the winter, and only cause I can't ride two bikes at once. Very rarley does either bike sit very long, but in the really cold months even in a garage I keep a tender on the one I'm not riding. I agree with the rest, you have other issues.

Old 08-22-2008 | 12:48 AM
atexn4christ
Road Master

I live in Vegas and have never had a problem. If you ride it frequently you should not need a tender. There may be another problem.

Old 08-22-2008 | 04:36 AM
relli
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by frog13
Sounds like you may have a bigger problem than hooking up a battery tender. Call me stupid, but coming off shovels to my new '08, don't they come prewired for the tender with a plug back by the trans? Mine did, I assumed it came from the factory that way because every one on the dealer's showroom floor had it. Maybe just the dealer?

04ctd, if you've been ridin' that thing regularly and the charging system is working and the battery good, you shouldn't have to put it on a charger to keep that battery up. Sounds like you may have a bigger issue. I have been in Chicago with real high temps, parade mode kicked in and I pretty much idled for the better part of two hours, listening to that thing thump on one cylinder. The couple times I did shut it off, it fired right back up, only to drop back to one cylinder, so she was plenty hot. I don't think the tender is going to solve this problem, but hey, maybe, what do I know?
yeah what he said. i think you got a problem somewhere

Old 08-22-2008 | 06:42 AM
katobird
Road Warrior

Let's see...one bolt removes the seat, battery access, battery terminal 1 bolt each and a couple of ty wraps...

if i were you i'd let the dealer install it. it pretty complicated.
ask them to check your tire poressure while it's there
that may be causing the batterey to be low too

Old 08-22-2008 | 06:59 AM
dowhat
Tourer

Had a Heritage that I had to charge over night in the winter months, then I got a batttery and thru away the charger. With everyone else about your problems.
Freinds 08 SG has the tender plug also.

Old 08-22-2008 | 08:09 AM
04ctd
|
Banned

Originally Posted by katobird
Let's see...one bolt removes the seat, battery access, battery terminal 1 bolt each and a couple of ty wraps...
nope, got the 08...the battery is encased in a protective plastic thing, and the ECM is on top of the battery.

you can actually SEE the ground cable, and the posts are now on top, so you can take it off, but the plastic case, and the way the cable is pre bent, makes the ground cable fall right back on the post when you take it off
(i disconnected the ECM overnight when I did the AC and pipes to make it relearn the Adaptive Fueling Values)

put the highway pegs on last night, did not get to the seat & battery tender (had let a buddy use my tools, told him just to leave them, and I would put them up in their proper place - took awhile)

gonna do about 4 hours this saturday morning, will shut it down at fuel stops and see how it cranks back immediately, make sure it's repeatable before i take it in for service.

thanks for the advice, guys.

Old 08-22-2008 | 02:57 PM
hawg08
Road Master

Battery tenders may be for "rubs" but they damn sure work!! My last bike was a 2000 FLHRCI and I had for 8 years before getting my 2008 Street Glide. I NEVER had a stator, regulator or anything else that had to do with the charging system replaced BECAUSE those items didn't have to work themselves to death keeping the battery charged. I changed the battery twice in eight years and neither had a problem, I just figured it was time to change them out because they were so old. My advice, get one, install the pigtail and plug it in ANYTIME you're not riding. It made a believer out of me.

Old 08-22-2008 | 03:09 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member

There must be problem. I have an 05' purchased new. Original battery and never charged or "tended". It's not like I'm riding every day either...with around 22K (i think) on the clock. And it is HOT down here in Dixie (North Florida)

Quick Reply: why is the cigarette lighter not HOT for a battery tender?