Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive by wire- I think I want an '07 without it...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008 | 12:44 PM
JCleary
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Drive by wire- I think I want an '07 without it...

Over the past few weeks, I've rented a few different Harleys:

2k7 Electraglide Standard
2k7 Street Glide
2k7 Heritage Softail
2k8 Road Glide

I've put about 200-500 miles on each one. I've come to the conclusion that I do not like drive by wire. With the three throttle-cable equipped models, I can feel the friction of the throttle cables which helps with throttle modulation. It's easy to feel when the butterfly is opening, resulting in buttery smooth upshifts and downshifts. Additionally smooth throttle control in lower gears is exceptionally easy.

I found with the '08 that it's hard to judge where the throttle comes in. I also found that low speed throttle response is jerky. I'm thinking that it is due to the throttle tube being sprung but not having any dampening. If you let go of the throttle, it snaps back into place. I think it would work much better if it had a "soft close" mechanism on it. Unfortunately there's no provision for this.

Has anyone out there experienced this? Any solutions?

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:03 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member

I suppose it's all a matter of what you prefer. I owned an '03 Ultra Classic (cables) and currently an '08 Ultra Classic (throttle by wire). Both work fine. I haven't had any of the issues you describe with TBW, in fact I feel that it simulates cable feel very accurately. The spring is very stout and after a 500 mile ride, I still get the same cramp in my hand that I did with cables. Also, I've had no problems with low speed throttle being jerky either. There are several people on this forum who have TBW on their bikes and I haven't heard of any TBW issues as you describe. If that were the case, I would think it's something the MOCO would address with a recall or service bulletin. Perhaps your rental bike had a problem.

As far as the throttle snapping closed when releasing the throttle is concerned, it is supposed to do that. Whether the bike is operated by cables or tbw it's not supposed to "soft close" as you mentioned. If you're riding a bike which is cable operated and the throttle doesn't snap back (closed position) and does a "soft close" instead, then the cables need to be adjusted/lubricated.

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:09 AM
Sodiee
Tourer

The TBW does take a little getting use to but once you do it's no problem.I don't even think about anymore,I just ride...

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:17 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

When I bought my '08 RK, I had one guy that hangs around give me all kinds of crap about TBW, how there is a high idle problem that will kill me, how there is hesitation when accelerating, how it is hard to hold a steady low speed, etc. Now, a few months, almost 7000 miles later and I can tell you, the only real difference I see between this and my cabled shovels is, well, there ain't no cables. I'll give you there might be a slight difference when I first rode it, but it took all of about three gears to get past that. TBW pretty much behaves exactly as any other throttle to me, I think you either had a strange one or are reading too much into it ....

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:18 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

I love TBW and had no trouble transitioning from a traditional cable. The solution, as with anything new, is to take the time to get used to it.

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:27 AM
aries4155
Cruiser

I'm coming up on 16,000 miles since April 6th and I have had no issues.
In fact I even forget that it doesn't have cables.

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:37 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member

I haven't noticed it at all. I also don't have any issues with mine.

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:57 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

No issues with mine either. I dont ever want to go back to cables!
Mechanical brakes either.

Old 08-21-2008 | 11:11 AM
JCleary
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by frog13
When I bought my '08 RK, I had one guy that hangs around give me all kinds of crap about TBW, how there is a high idle problem that will kill me, how there is hesitation when accelerating, how it is hard to hold a steady low speed, etc. Now, a few months, almost 7000 miles later and I can tell you, the only real difference I see between this and my cabled shovels is, well, there ain't no cables. I'll give you there might be a slight difference when I first rode it, but it took all of about three gears to get past that. TBW pretty much behaves exactly as any other throttle to me, I think you either had a strange one or are reading too much into it ....

I have no problems with the concept of an electronic throttle. My '03 Dodge Cummins six-speed had an APPS, as does my '07. They both work great. MY '07 Audi A4 has an electronic throttle as well. I'm a believer in the technology.

When I jumped on the '08 I didn't even think twice about it. Only when I started riding up Hwy 9 on the way to Santa Cruz did I notice the low-throttle jerkyness and the weird response. I looked at the throttle assembly to see what was up, and I saw no cables. Only then did I realize it had an electronic throttle.

I'm sure I can get used to it, but my point is that the '07's I've ridden work much better. Perhaps this one bike has a problem, or the throttle isn't set up right?

I'm going to ride from Tennesee to NC and back next week on a '08 EGC, and then an '09 RKC for four days to Street Vibrations in Reno at the end of the month. I guess I'll see if the Road Glide was defective, or if it's me

Old 08-21-2008 | 11:26 AM
caspr2
Tourer

I've had an 01 Flstci and a 02 FLHTCUI, 07 FLTR, andan 08 FLTR. The fly by wire is great. Cabled bikes work great just after service. Fly by wire work great all the time!

Quick Reply: Drive by wire- I think I want an '07 without it...