Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Stabilizers.....Requesting Input

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:43 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesssman
I am one who is unsure what the wobble situation you speak of in your posts. I have an 07 Road Glide and it seems to be tracking very well through turns and I ride it hard. Maybe the wobble is there, I might just not be paying enough attention. So...

When does the wobble occur? Is it long corners? Quick left and right corners?

What does it feel like when the wobble occurs? Please don't tell me I will know when it happens...

What is creating the wobble in relation to the bike?

Thanks
Gary,

I also have an 07 Roady. I felt it first in a long sweeping corner that had a few bumps in the middle. It all started with the rear of the bike went up and down from the first bump. It just kept moving like a dog wagging it's tail. Felt like the front and back of the bike were moving in separate directions.

Since I installed a stabilizer, this does not happen anymore. I also noticed immediately that the bike felt tighter in all riding situations.

So a search for "bagger wobble" and you will find endless discussions and descriptions of this problem. Also, both BAGGERS and AMERICAN BAGGER magazines have done articles about it. You may find more information on their web sites.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Old 08-19-2008, 03:47 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Lightbulb

I think back when I had my OEM suspension setup and I don't remember the wobble being as drastic as it is since I put SG rear shocks on my bike, however, the effect it generates for me is at ~80mph on long winding sweepers with slight elevation changes throughout the turn either to the right or left. I never feel it any other time besides what I mention. My Metzlers have helped alot with grooved pavement tracking so I track straight as an arrow there.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:51 PM
hogdvr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question is:

If the MOCO supposedly fixed this problem with the new '09 chassis how did they do it and how does their fix compare to all these after market stabilizers out there?

Old 08-19-2008, 03:54 PM
alexcue
Road Master

All i can say is if you've felt the "wobble" you'll know what it is. It gets your attention pretty quick. Is it dangerous? Let's just say it's a bit nerve racking? Have i felt out of control? NO... but i don't push it that hard, but hard enough where i don't want to have the feeling at the limits of the bike.

UltraKlassic, great thread. And the responses to date have been superb. I like the design of the ART model, just cause it's so shiny ;-).. Seriously it looks impressive in person and I've talked to the designer. But the responses here have gotten me thinking of the "overkill" and I've also heard of the increased vibration with this product.

The TWR is looking good to me personally

Old 08-19-2008, 03:54 PM
gliderman
Road Captain

Well, I can give some feedback as to the Sta-Bo bushings. I installed them about 1K miles ago. Noticed an improvement in so far as the bike seemed tighter in turns, less back-end instability when pushing it in higher speed sweepers. However, the vibration increase has not diminished as I was told it would after around 500 miles. It's not unbearable, but it's not something I want to continue to feel every time I ride. I will be taking them out. $50 bucks if anyone wants to try them?

I have been looking hard at the TWR Stabilizer but have heard that it might not fit with the Fat-Cat 2-1 exhaust? Not sure about this...

Old 08-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sifularson
Gary,

I also have an 07 Roady. I felt it first in a long sweeping corner that had a few bumps in the middle. It all started with the rear of the bike went up and down from the first bump. It just kept moving like a dog wagging it's tail. Felt like the front and back of the bike were moving in separate directions.

Since I installed a stabilizer, this does not happen anymore. I also noticed immediately that the bike felt tighter in all riding situations.

So a search for "bagger wobble" and you will find endless discussions and descriptions of this problem. Also, both BAGGERS and AMERICAN BAGGER magazines have done articles about it. You may find more information on their web sites.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Thanks Steve!! I will check out the sites you recommend. Great thread everyone!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:09 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

DISCLAIMER:

I am not endorsing ANY of the products.........yet. My comments are made out of ignorance related to ANY of the aforementioned products and I really don't have a clue as to how effective these said products are since I don't have one........yet.

The purpose of this thread was/is to seek guidance for those of us that have been wanting, watching, and waiting for the opportune moment to purchase one of these devices......nothing more. This thread was NEVER intended to pitch one product over the other, contrare, but instead give the unknowing, such as myself, the needed info to make an informed decision in purchasing a product that offers added refinement and safety to myself, my precious cargo(wife) and my trusty steed. No underlined motive other than what has been mentioned.

Continue............as I wait patiently for the Physicist or Engineer to get off of work to come in here and give us an edjumacated explanation/rationale.

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 08-19-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:15 PM
EvEr34
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using the Alloy Art piece for a while now. I opted for this piece after a conversation with a rep from Kustom Werks whose RG was featured Vtwin magazine (I think) They had been using Alloy Art for a while also and only had good things say. It does what it's supposed to do and feels great. Is it better or worse than all the others?? Have no idea never tried them, but i'm more than happy with what I got. On the plus side.....it's also a cool looking piece.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Born2Glide
Road Master

This is a good example of why this forum is so valuable.
I to have experienced "The Wobble" and I had no idea it was such a common thing. A few weeks back on a five day road trip, riding two up and heavily loaded, I felt the worst wobble to date. It was on a long sweeping turn that I was kinda gettin into, part way in we hit a small bump which started the wobble effect. Needless to say I didn't like it much and wondered what the hell causes that to happen, was it me? or was it my bike?
I am really glad to read this post and know that it is a fairly common thing and that there is a solution to the problem. Now I just need to do some more research and figure out which one would be the best to get. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Emporers New Clothes
Cruiser

Originally Posted by iclick
With the exception of the Alloy Art device, I think these basically achieve the same net result, which is to restrict only lateral movement. The only variable I can think of is that the long bolts and stand-offs on the TT-type design might have some flex and thus might be marginally less effective. I would think this would be a matter of microns and would be a difference that would only be seen on a micrometer.

You don't need to restrict longitudinal (front-to-back) movement and doing so in addition to lateral movement will cause increased vibration. If you'll look at how these devices are made, with the exception of the Alloy Art, you'll notice that the heim joints will allow full longitudinal and vertical movement. The only movement restricted by these devices is that which is parallel to the stabilizer rod, which is lateral (left and right). In any other direction the heim joints allow movement. This is why the Alloy Art design seems so illogical, because it restricts movement in two directions, doing so best from front to back which isn't even needed.
You obviously have not examined the alloy art. It has bushings that allow for some (but restricted) movement Lateral and vertical. keep in mind this unit is fully adjustable, allowing you to tighten the rear to your liking. I'm not a physicist but I do ride and I like to ride hard into the twisties and what I had before the alloy art device was a bucking like experience when I would hit a dip or bump while in a large curve like turn, and since installing this device I can hit these curves with all the speed I can handle and I get no bucking at all. I also commute on my ride and I deal with California freeways and I would say that this too has improved the handling. http://www.alloyart.com/images/TXR_install_2.jpg

Quick Reply: Rear Stabilizers.....Requesting Input