Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Stabilizers.....Requesting Input

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:05 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe I'm overthinking this but it just SEEMS like the side mounted offerings would be able to prohibit the side to side movement with less stress to these devices in a seemingly more efficient/effective manner vice the crossmember mounted ones. The crossmember mounted devices would seem more effective in preventing front to back motion. But then again, I haven't taken into account the relationship of these devices to the actual swing arm pivot bolt either.

Clear as mud now.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:21 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
Maybe I'm overthinking this but it just SEEMS like the side mounted offerings would be able to prohibit the side to side movement with less stress to these devices in a seemingly more efficient/effective manner vice the crossmember mounted ones. The crossmember mounted devices would seem more effective in preventing front to back motion. But then again, I haven't taken into account the relationship of these devices to the actual swing arm pivot bolt either.

Clear as mud now.
With the exception of the Alloy Art device, I think these basically achieve the same net result, which is to restrict only lateral movement. The only variable I can think of is that the long bolts and stand-offs on the TT-type design might have some flex and thus might be marginally less effective. I would think this would be a matter of microns and would be a difference that would only be seen on a micrometer.

You don't need to restrict longitudinal (front-to-back) movement and doing so in addition to lateral movement will cause increased vibration. If you'll look at how these devices are made, with the exception of the Alloy Art, you'll notice that the heim joints will allow full longitudinal and vertical movement. The only movement restricted by these devices is that which is parallel to the stabilizer rod, which is lateral (left and right). In any other direction the heim joints allow movement. This is why the Alloy Art design seems so illogical, because it restricts movement in two directions, doing so best from front to back which isn't even needed.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:35 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I understand the True Track is not compatible with center stands that mount on the cross-member, so I assume that none of those that mount in that location are compatible. The TWR does claim that "It will work with ez-up ride off center stand," and I saw no info one way or another on the Ride Str8 site.
Hey click . . . beat ya that time. LMAO

Old 08-19-2008, 02:20 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by sifularson
Hey click . . . beat ya that time. LMAO
Yeah, got beat by nine minutes. You win again since you have first-hand experience with the center-stand.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:20 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
With the exception of the Alloy Art device, I think these basically achieve the same net result, which is to restrict only lateral movement. The only variable I can think of is that the long bolts and stand-offs on the TT-type design might have some flex and thus might be marginally less effective. I would think this would be a matter of microns and would be a difference that would only be seen on a micrometer.

You don't need to restrict longitudinal (front-to-back) movement and doing so in addition to lateral movement will cause increased vibration. If you'll look at how these devices are made, with the exception of the Alloy Art, you'll notice that the heim joints will allow full longitudinal and vertical movement. The only movement restricted by these devices is that which is parallel to the stabilizer rod, which is lateral (left and right). In any other direction the heim joints allow movement. This is why the Alloy Art design seems so illogical, because it restricts movement in two directions, doing so best from front to back which isn't even needed.
This explanation is one I can appreciate Bob. I wouldn't expect nothing but a non-biased, extremely articulate thought-out reply from you and once again you haven't disappointed.

Thanks for your input and to those that replied, thanks as well.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:22 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

...deleted duplicate message. It would be nice if the forum allowed deletions.

Last edited by iclick; 08-19-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:28 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

This explanation is one I can appreciate Bob. I wouldn't expect nothing but a non-biased, extremely articulate thought-out reply from you and once again you haven't disappointed.
I await a real mechanical engineer or physicist to pipe in and overwhelm us with formulas and axioms, not that I would understand it.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:37 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

What gets me is how come more people don't speak out on how these rear stabilizers have cured their wobble. Maybe they put one on, it does the trick and they forget they even had the wobble, but I'd be ecstatic about increasing the stability of my scoot. OR maybe some can't feel the wobble with the bike sitting in the garage all the time.......oooopsie.

Eitherway, I'd like to hear some live testimonies.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:43 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What gets me is how come more people don't speak out on how these rear stabilizers have cured their wobble. Maybe they put one on, it does the trick and they forget they even had the wobble, but I'd be ecstatic about increasing the stability of my scoot. OR maybe some can't feel the wobble with the bike sitting in the garage all the time.......oooopsie.

Eitherway, I'd like to hear some live testimonies.
There have been HUNDREDS of feedback replies. Take a look at thse two threads.

BTW, the second thread was closed yesterday due to some mud slinging by a couple members pushing another kit. Too bad because the thread is the 3rd longest touring thread of all time. Oh well . . . all things end.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...g+link+install

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...g+link+install

There are even more positive reviews. Do a search for TWR MISSING LINK STABILIZER.

Steve

Last edited by sifularson; 08-19-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:45 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

What gets me is how come more people don't speak out on how these rear stabilizers have cured their wobble.
I've seen quite a few testimonials, all positive IIRC, on quite a few threads. Hey, I wrote a short message!

Quick Reply: Rear Stabilizers.....Requesting Input