Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobra CB Install, Pics, and Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008 | 02:10 AM
Harleypingman
|
Extreme HDF Member
Default Cobra CB Install, Pics, and Review

This is a report on my installation of the Cobra 75 WX ST CB radio on my '04 EG police model. The unit is a handheld device only slightly larger than the handheld CB microphone offered by HD. It connects to a remotely located control box that has the power and CB antenna connections for the CB.

First the review--no point in taking the time to write this and post pics for a product/installation that didn't work. For my very limited useage of CB (basically leading/sweeping HOG chapter rides, and occasional rides with friends using the CB's on their Ultras), this is a good solution with moderate financial and cosmetic cost: CB unit: $86.00 brand new from Ebay seller; HD CB antenna kit, $109.95 list; Cobra AC 702 4' extension connector cable, $25.00 from Amazon; CB antenna tune, $10; and, remove HD cable connector to CB and replace with CB standard connector PL 259, $5= Approx. $235.00. Not included is the HD handheld microphone handlebar bracket "borrowed" from a friend.

The sound volume from the speaker sitting on the handlebar bracket is adequate, though I won't be listening to tunes when using the CB; the stereo would interfere with hearing the CB speaker. The CB's speaker is loud enough to hear over my Rinehart TD's at speeds up to 60-65 mph. My hearing is probably average to slightly below average, and I wear a 3/4 helmet; so, your experience may vary from mine regarding the speaker in the handheld unit. For interstate cruising in light traffic, where you'd use the cruise control, it wouldn't be much effort to hold the handheld unit close to listen to and talk with a buddy. For HOG chapter rides, the transmissions are brief, relating primarily to clearing intersections, changing/securing lanes on multi-lane roads/highways. So listening to the unit while it's on the bracket is okay; holding it to broadcast is easy, and leaving it in my lap until I can safely/conveniently replace it in the handlebar bracket also seems to work fine.

The ease of use of the Cobra 75 WX ST is okay. Not nearly as convenient to use as a PTT button/boom mike/helmet speakers, but adquate for my purposes. Obviously, you don't want to be reaching for or replacing the handheld unit when you need the left hand on the handlebar. But for temporary situations, I found it easy enough to simply lay the handheld unit in my lap temporarily if I didn't want to replace it in the handlebar mount.

Range is hard for me to calculate given the relatively modest experience with this set-up thusfar. It's certainly fine for an assigned channel for HOG rides and riding with buddies. Channel 19 is available, but I don't want to listen to truckers, and haven't tested the max range available. I'll take a ride with a buddy and see what the max effective range is and let you know the results.

Cosmetically, the CB unit is removed from the bike when not in use. The connector cable protruding from the lower portion on the right side of the seat is not noticeable, and if I let my OCD kick in I could stuff it under the seat and retrieve it when using the CB. The handlebar bracket doesn't bother me (yet). And the whip CB antenna is easily removed and reinstalled when needed. So except for the loading coil protruding from the SG facia installed on my '04 EG, there isn't much to be seen. I am going to investigate to see if I can use the new HD shorty CB antenna that's offered and does't require a loading coil. At least for now, the cosmetics are accecptable for me.

Here's a pic of the HD CB antenna mount:

http://

The kit includes a CB antenna cable long enough to reach inside the front of the bike. I routed it under the right side chrome strut cover (removing the cover to run the cable and zip tying it to the frame strut, then reinstalling the chrome cover); along the right side past the seat; then under the tank to the front of the bike inside the fairing.

The control box with the CB kit is about 1/2 the size of a pack of cigarettes and very light weight and I installed it on top of the aftermarket headunit. To connect the CB cable to the control box it was necessary to replace the HD supplied connector and replace it with a standard PL 259 connector--paid the guy who later tuned the antenna $5 to cut-off the HD connector and replace with the normal one used on CB installations.

For power, the connector box has a red power wire and black ground wire. I ran these back to the battery area and connected the power wire to the battery positive terminal and the ground wire to one of the two ground studs forward of the battery.

The cable from the control box to the CB's coiled cord is only about 8" in length, and because I mounted the control box atop the radio, I purchased a 4' extension cable (same purpose as an electrical extension cord), Cobra part no. AC 702. I ran it from the control box; under the tank, and exited the cable connector on the right side of the seat. Here's a pic:

To mount the handheld CB unit, I "borrowed" a buddy's HD handlebar bracket that's included in the HD handheld microphone kit, part no. 76312-98. Here's a pic of the unit on the mount:

And here's a pic of the CB handheld cord connected to the 4' extension cable just below the seat:

The connectors and cables don't get close enough to the engine to get hot. I might re-route the extension cable along the left side of the frame instead of the right. The connector isn't quite long enough for me to exit the connector end on the left side of the seat. Having the coiled cord laying across the gas tank doens't bother me, and it keeps the cord from flapping around on the left side of the bike.

A couple of final points. The control box location was an easy decision for me since I wanted to use the HD CB kit which includes a long cable which, rightly or wrongly, I felt would make the antenna easier to tune. I also didn't want to make the area under my seat any more crowded with the box, CB cable connection, etc. by mounting the control box there. It might be possible to mount it there but it seemed like a tight fit to me.

Are there other alternatives for aftermarket CB? Yes, including handheld units mounted on a handlebar bracket, cords for PTT/boom mic/helmet speakers; and J&M's fine handlebar mounted CB. I tried the former with a Midland handheld CB, and bracket/PTT/etc. from Sierra Electronics. But the bracket on the handlebar was obtrusively ugly to my eye, and the cords necessary for the connections bugged me too much to keep this rig--so I sold it to a buddy. If you have a handheld CB with cords, etc. and you like it, good for you. I'm not flaming anyone's choice--that set-up just wasn't for me. And the J&M was simply too costly for my limited useage and budget.

As my useage with this Cobra 75 WX ST CB radio increases, I'll report back and let you know about any issues that come up. For now at least, this set-up seems to meet my limited CB requirements.

Old 08-18-2008 | 03:08 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

Kewl. But I would run my hand-set to the left side less chance of beating your tank & dash. Lived through it on an old Gold-Wing (Ops) when I installed a after-market CB. Just a thought...

Old 08-18-2008 | 08:52 AM
blueflht
Road Warrior

another thought is you need a loaded coil antenna to set the standing wave ratio for the cb. if not the finals in your cb will turn and burn!

Old 08-18-2008 | 09:01 PM
Tenn Ridge Runner
Cruiser

I wonder if there's any way to get the Harley mount without having to buy the microphone.

Old 02-06-2010 | 10:24 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

I realize this is an old thread but since it's there, I thought I would ask. I've got a 76217-88A Harley microphone. I wonder if it will work on my '09? It may be a number of pins. It's raining and I'm to lazy to go out and look.

Last edited by shortride; 02-08-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-06-2010 | 11:12 AM
Q Hog
Road Warrior

Pingman, are you still using this CB set up?

Old 02-06-2010 | 11:21 AM
Harleypingman
|
Extreme HDF Member

QH, I installed the Harman Kardon head unit and CB module; like an Ultra.

If you are interested in the Cobra CB and other parts, shoot me a PM. It worked fine.

Old 02-06-2010 | 11:37 AM
Q Hog
Road Warrior

Thanks