Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best Modular Helmet, plus good value?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagman1
Also someone commented on plastic latches and breaking on impact. My syncro tec is a metal latch as Im sure DOT wouldnt certify a helmet if it had plastic latches that were prone to breaking. Plastic release buttons maybe.
Bagman1, you would think that no helmet company would use plastic latches...and that DOT would not approve them...HOWEVER, that is NOT the case.

HJC modulars have plastic latches (YES, LATCHES...the piece that "holds" the modular chin guard in place), as do a host of other modulars....

I spent many hours at over 10 different shops trying on different modulars and it shocked me to find the majority of them with plastic latches. One of them, I forget the name right now, was VERY comfortable, but the latch broke on one side when the sales person picked it up to hand it to me to try on. (he was holding it by the chin guard with the helmet closed).

Old 08-18-2008, 03:56 AM
dcc46
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been thinking about picking up a modular for riding this winter and , i'm gonna go with the nolan n102 . seems to be the best bang for the buck. you can get one for around 250 shipped on ebay. also i was at occ store with my kids the other day and they sell them , i tried one on , im usually a m/l size but im a xl with the nolan. just my 2 cents.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Avmech97
Road Master

I use a Fulmer AFM modular helmet and are pleased with the quality & performance of the helmet. Mine is an 07 version & I got i for 150.00 the 08 versions when I got mine were about 185.00.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:57 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

I have a SHOEI Multi-Tec and love it. After trying on about 11 other helmets and wearing them for whatever time I could (I try to keep the helmet on for 25 - 30 minutes to see if the helmet will hurt my head along the top of my forehead). The only helmet that 'fit' me right and was comfortable was the Multi-Tec.

I bought mine at Performance Cycle in Denver for $434+tax
http://www.performancecycleco.com/es...LAR_HELMET.htm

- -
KoalaCowboy

Old 08-18-2008, 11:55 AM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the Shoei, and they were not comfortable; bought the HD Modular and I'm quite pleased although it only has DOT rating. It was half the Shoei, I value my head a great deal, but reality is if I go flying off the bike my neck is going to break since I"ve had 3 surgeries up there and I'm held together by some screws and a plate. How's that for a cheery thought.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:18 PM
thehueg
Cruiser
Default Schuberth Helmets

Schuberth apparently no longer has a U.S. importer to bring their helmets into the U.S. and distribute to dealers. I had to contact a friend in Germany to buy a replacement shield for one ($45). Imagine buying a new luxury car and then being told there were no dealers getting parts any longer. This situation has been going on for over 18 months and as yet, I haven't heard of them settling this issue. Until they can assure U.S. riders that Schuberth will return to the U.S. for the long-term, it's a risky investment. What's sad is that this is an exceptionally high quality product line with metal latches, superb paint jobs, and unique features.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Terryjft
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a Harley modular a few years back (Symax made by HJC). It was stolen(that's another story) and I replaced it with a non-Harley Symax. I really like the fit on my head.

I think the best advice in this thread has been: go try some on and get what feels best on YOUR head.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:00 AM
bfreesun
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wassup8687
It's best to try one on. They all fit a little different.

Essential!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:31 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dcc46
i've been thinking about picking up a modular for riding this winter and , i'm gonna go with the nolan n102 . seems to be the best bang for the buck. you can get one for around 250 shipped on ebay. also i was at occ store with my kids the other day and they sell them , i tried one on , im usually a m/l size but im a xl with the nolan. just my 2 cents.
i have a great source in daytona if anyone is in the area or they ship for Nolans and others. great service and prioces

Old 08-19-2008, 07:42 PM
ben67zl1
Cruiser

Check out the GMAX 44S modular as I have a Dragon and am about to get one excellent helmet with some real nice extras at an excellent price!

Quick Reply: What's the best Modular Helmet, plus good value?