Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide VS Road Glide Wind Turbulance

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:19 AM
speeder75
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Glide VS Road Glide Wind Turbulance

I am going to buy a new 09 Street Glide or Road Glide. I have demo'ed both, and while i realize the windshield was not perfect for me on either, i experienced alot of buffeting on my helmet. It feels like someone is beating me over the head as i ride over 45 mph. I am 5ft 5in tall so considering my size which one is going to give me the smoothest airflow ??? I dont mind wind on me as, i mostly ride my Heritage Softail without a windshield, even on the hwy. However this was more than wind, it was like a thump on my head, and was giving me a headache. My wife was also getting alot of wind turbulance, and was not as comfortable as on my Heritage Softail. Will a correct size windshield correct this, such as a Clearview ??? Do all fairing bike's have wind buffeting or turbulance ?? I figured the Road Glide would have been smoother because it has a much taller standard windshield, but it was only slightly better at HWY speeds.
Thanks for all your opinions and help, i am confused on what to do now.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:43 AM
martin1
Cruiser

You will just have to experiment with windshield heights. As little as an inch can make a difference. Unfortunately they cant make a one size fits all bike. I have had to adjust windshields, seats and handlebars on almost every bike to get it to fit me. The Roadglide is known to cause turbulance problems for a lot of riders, but the two Ive owned were almost perfect out of the box. But that is just for me. Also, just changing from one helmet to another can make a difference. You can make either bike work for you, will just take some time and experimenting. Good luck with it.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:56 AM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lowers and the right size windshield stopped the buffeting on my 08 road glide

Old 08-16-2008, 05:13 AM
Roadjunkie1
Banned

Originally Posted by mslater741
lowers and the right size windshield stopped the buffeting on my 08 road glide

Exactly!

Old 08-16-2008, 05:55 AM
Txrealtor
Novice

Check out the Clearview. My RG used to give me extreme buffeting over 70 to the point I couldn't see anything but a blur so I measured according to their instructions and ordered the 1" over size. The CV windshield lays back more than the stocker (mirrors hit against shield doing a 3 point turn around) and has a slight recurve at the top.....nothing but clear sailing at speeds up to 90. I didn't feel the need to install lowers after putting on the CV shield. Was worth the wait.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:04 AM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Right now my RG has the stock height windshield .. My other two Tour Glides ( same bike ) , I had the tallest windshield available and it made a big difference for me ..

Old 08-16-2008, 06:07 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,625 Likes on 11,488 Posts

I went the opposite direction and installed a 10" chopped / smoked
windshield on my 08 R/G.
My head doesn't get bounced around, can still hear the music
at hiway speeds, and can talk with my wife when she is on back.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:46 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I lowered the Bike changed out the seat to make me lower & back. Put on a Clearview with Recurve (Small 1" lower 2" wider then OEM). I'm 6'4" and I have very limited buffeting till around 80+ MPH

Old 08-16-2008, 07:12 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

The single biggest way to reduce buffetting is with lower fairings on either bike. Taller windshields generally mean lower turbulence, but at 5'5" you shouldn't need a real tall one. Another thing to consider whenever you feel the turbulence is greater than what is reasonable on either bike is the wind conditions of the day. Just watch...some time around February through April there will an onslaught of new owners with buffetting questions due to 20-40 mph wind and gusts. It it's windy out...it's just windy out...you're gonna get buffetting. When it's good calm air....you're gonna glide on either...well on either Glide

Old 08-16-2008, 07:17 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by speeder75
I am going to buy a new 09 Street Glide or Road Glide. I have demo'ed both, and while i realize the windshield was not perfect for me on either, i experienced alot of buffeting on my helmet. It feels like someone is beating me over the head as i ride over 45 mph. I am 5ft 5in tall so considering my size which one is going to give me the smoothest airflow ??? I dont mind wind on me as, i mostly ride my Heritage Softail without a windshield, even on the hwy. However this was more than wind, it was like a thump on my head, and was giving me a headache. My wife was also getting alot of wind turbulance, and was not as comfortable as on my Heritage Softail. Will a correct size windshield correct this, such as a Clearview ??? Do all fairing bike's have wind buffeting or turbulance ?? I figured the Road Glide would have been smoother because it has a much taller standard windshield, but it was only slightly better at HWY speeds.
Thanks for all your opinions and help, i am confused on what to do now.
A bike with a fairing is going to have turbulence compared to a non-fairing bike where you are the fairing. A windshield height change can help a lot by causing the air over the windshield to pass over your head, but you will have air coming from other places.

Test ride an Electra Glide with a stock 12" windshield and see what you think. The "buffeting" you are experiencing may simply be wind turbulence caused by the air moving around the fairing.

The closest thing to zero turbulence I've ridden is an '08 Ultra (which has fairing lowers and wind deflectors on the fairing). My '04 EG with fairing lowers and 8" windshield has very little turbulence, and zero buffeting.

Quick Reply: Street Glide VS Road Glide Wind Turbulance