Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for those who installed the fairing oil temp gauge and NAPA adaptor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:26 PM
RjCapp
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for those who installed the fairing oil temp gauge and NAPA adaptor?

I am all set to install an oil temp gauge and utilize the NAPA adapter that allows installation of the temp sending unit in the oil pan. I am concerned that removing the factory set screw from the oil pan is going to be a pain in the a$$. How bad is the set screw lock tite'd in the threads???? Did you remove the set screw after bringing the motor up to normal operating temps to help with breaking it loose??? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by RjCapp; 08-15-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

removed when cold and had no problem whatsoever

Old 08-15-2008, 03:47 PM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Not trying to hijack your thread, but do you have the parts numbers for the guage kit and the NAPA adapter? The next to useless air temp guage is leaving and an oil temp guage would at least be useful!

Thanks in advance,
TN Houndog

Old 08-15-2008, 04:12 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RjCapp
I am all set to install an oil temp gauge and utilize the NAPA adapter that allows installation of the temp sending unit in the oil pan. I am concerned that removing the factory set screw from the oil pan is going to be a pain in the a$$. How bad is the set screw lock tited in the threads???? Did you remove the set screw after bringing the motor up to normal operating temps to help with breaking it loose??? Thanks in advance!
I would recommend that you invest in a good set of allen sockets. A cheap set will only cause you headaches when you strip out a plug or bolt.

The plug you will be removing is an allen head plug. It will not come out hard. When you install the sender, there is no need to tighten the hell out of it. Use some thread sealant and tighten it firmly.
Steve

Old 08-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took it out cold and was no problem. I agree with getting a good set of allen wrenches.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:16 PM
sortasuave
Tourer

Also took it out cold. Also agree on the comment about the good allen wrenches.

Do some searching on here for the adaptor. There are a few discussion threads that give the details of what the threads need to be. Then you don't have to buy it specifically from NAPA. I got mine from a true hardware store... Boy was that a trip down memory lane!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:28 PM
RjCapp
Road Master

Originally Posted by TN Houndog
Not trying to hijack your thread, but do you have the parts numbers for the guage kit and the NAPA adapter? The next to useless air temp guage is leaving and an oil temp guage would at least be useful!

Thanks in advance,
TN Houndog
I purchased HD 75324-05 Silver Face Oil Temp Gauge - Fairing Mount and NAPA 3220 x 6 x 2 Fitting.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:33 PM
RjCapp
Road Master

Thanks for the quick response to my concerns. I have good tools including socket Allen's.

Another question is how did you run the wiring? Under the tank or along the frame?

Old 08-15-2008, 05:35 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine had red loctite on it - would not budge - heated up with a heat gun - then came out no problem.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:49 PM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,865 Likes on 9,332 Posts

When you go to the NAPA dealer, don't tell him its for a Harley because he will insist that you have to go to a Harley dealer for the part.
I ran the wire up the rear frame member and then forward under the tank. Make sure its not being pinched between the frame and tank or it will eventually short out later.

Quick Reply: question for those who installed the fairing oil temp gauge and NAPA adaptor?