Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo/Tach for 08 King

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Meist21
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedo/Tach for 08 King

Hey guys. Read a few posts about the speedo/tack combo for my 08 RKC. Don't want to use the mini gauges as I have a detachable fairing. I have been looking at the one in the 09 catalog (sorry no part#) that has multiple color combos and I like the style better than the others. Question is does the color option let you keep it at a stock color setting and does the new speedo keep the stock lcd options (Time, Trip 1, Trip 2, miles remaining till empty, Odometer)? I have seen varied results here. Also how much does stealer charge to re-state the mileage? Thanks

Chris

Old 08-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Bagginit
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

I purhased my speedo/tack in spun aluminum for my 08 RKC. Went through Zanotti's. Cheapeast price ANYWHERE. They also reinstated my mileage for free. I believe this is something they specify to Harley when they place the order.

You get all the features of the original speedo such as trip, mileage, etc. One thing I did notice was that it didnt have an ABS light. My bike doesnt have ABS so I didnt care. But if yours does, then you may want to see if it is supported on whatever new gage you choose.

Installation was a snap, however beware of the wiring going to the speedo. Its too short due to the angle of the connector on the new speedo. so I had to solder in extensions.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:58 PM
rde
Road Captain

I have the spun aluminum face on mine so I can't comment on the color issues you raise. It has all the same odometer features as the stock speedo. Moreover, it also keeps the same stock indicator lights such as 6th gear, ABS, low fuel, battery, cruise control, etc.

I ordered mine from the factory set for 5000 miles since I had the dealer install it with my service.

You'll love it. It's pricey but I use the tach more than I thought.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Leonidas
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rde
I have the spun aluminum face on mine so I can't comment on the color issues you raise. It has all the same odometer features as the stock speedo. Moreover, it also keeps the same stock indicator lights such as 6th gear, ABS, low fuel, battery, cruise control, etc.

I ordered mine from the factory set for 5000 miles since I had the dealer install it with my service.

You'll love it. It's pricey but I use the tach more than I thought.
I was thinking of getting the same one for my 09 Road King but couldn't see these indicator lights in the photo's of the spun aluminum face so I'm glad you've confirmed they're there but does it have the miles till empty function working like the original? and I hear that you lose the clock function, is this true or does it still have the clock ?

Old 09-16-2008, 12:02 AM
herman
Novice

Originally Posted by Leonidas
I was thinking of getting the same one for my 09 Road King but couldn't see these indicator lights in the photo's of the spun aluminum face so I'm glad you've confirmed they're there but does it have the miles till empty function working like the original? and I hear that you lose the clock function, is this true or does it still have the clock ?
Just installed it on my 09 Road King Classic. You do not lose any of the features, including the miles till empty or the clock feature. However, when the bike is off it now shows the total miles (instead of blank LCD on the original)

Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope they got better.. Put one on my '01 RKC and on my son's '05 RK Mine lasted 13 months and the son's lasted a few months longer....

Old 09-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Leonidas
Road Master

Originally Posted by herman
Just installed it on my 09 Road King Classic. You do not lose any of the features, including the miles till empty or the clock feature. However, when the bike is off it now shows the total miles (instead of blank LCD on the original)
Thanks for the confirmation, I'll probably order mine tomorrow

Old 09-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Leonidas
Road Master

Originally Posted by SoCal_Pappy
Hope they got better.. Put one on my '01 RKC and on my son's '05 RK Mine lasted 13 months and the son's lasted a few months longer....
S&%t, I hope they got better too, especially considering the price tage

Old 09-16-2008, 05:20 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked virtually the same question a few months ago, and while I can't find the responses (before the meltdown on the forum) there was an overwhelming group that said these were not reliable, and that they'd had tons of problems with them. I put the aftermarket (DeadCenter) fairing on my Road King and had to pull my mini tach off when I mounted it. I miss it, but didn't really consider the combo unit after the feedback I got. For what it's worth.. just saying what happened..

Old 09-16-2008, 08:43 PM
throttle
Novice

wait a minute... I have it on my 08 RKC and I lost the miles till empty. All the other functions are there but not the miles till empty. Could you give me you part # just to make certain they didn't put the wrong unit in.

Quick Reply: Speedo/Tach for 08 King