Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rode my first Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:09 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Rode my first Ultra

I’ve been thinking about trading my 02 RKC for a new bike with a batwing. We can’t rent bikes in Oklahoma, so I’ve been dropping by the store every other day looking at the 08 Ultras. If I make the change, I want ABS and this store only has one 08 anything left with ABS and that is the Ultra. Last week the salesman said he would let me take the Ultra for a ride if I would just quit drooling on his new bikes. Seems the other customers have been complaining, Sheesh.

I’ve only own the 02 RKC for a year, and haven’t rode any other Harley. So here is what I found.

Good stuff:
1.Well she only felt heavy picking her up off the stand. After that the Ultra felt as light as the RKC. In fact, she felt a little lighter and I think that is because of the beach bars on my 02.

2.The Ultra turns on a dime with very little effort. In fact I almost turned into a curb making a u turn. I've heard it said that the Ultras seem to almost read your mind and I have to agree. Again I think it was easy because I’m so use to the beach Bars on my 02. Beach bars are very comfortable and pleasing to the eyes, but a bike with beach bars doesn’t like to be whipped around.

3.Seat is more comfortable than the Road King. No surprise there. I like the seat on the RKC, but the Ultra is more cushy.

4.Batwing is cool. It doesn’t physically feel different, but mentally it kind of says, “hey, you have stepped up into a different class, comb your hair because everyone is looking”. Its funny, I feel like surfer dude riding the road king. Add the beach bars and you find yourself in a relaxed laid back no hurry sort of mind. But the Batwing makes you feel in a little more refined frame of mind. No slouching because the Ultra isn’t for dudes, it’s a bike that says you have class, so don’t let the other Ultra riders down. I was told that Ultra drivers like to wear mirrored sunglasses so the other Ultra riders can look at themselves when they ride by. Is that true? Hmmm.

5.Didn’t think I would care for it, but the radio is very cool.

6,I like the tach too.

Now the not so good stuff:

1.Hey, now I kind of know what it feels like to ride a Gold wing. I mean really, is that the best the stock pipes can do? It it weren’t for all the clacking from the top end, I wouldn’t know she was alive. This bike screams for a pair of V&H Ovals. An Ultra may be refined, but she isn’t supposed to be shy.

2.OK, who took away its power. One thing I’m use to from my 02 RKC is it has a pretty good pull all the way through to redline. The 07 Ultra just seem to fizzle out above 3000 RPMs. Oh, it will get up there in its own sweet time, but my motto is: ”No hurry, I just like going fast”. There was nothing fast about the 96 on this girl. Surely the Ultra isn't just a sexy girl with big hips. Now, as far as I know, my 02 only has V&H Ovals and a Screaming Eagle breather. Can they make that much difference? I was kind of thinking the 02 was a little doggy, but not now.

And that’s it. They wouldn’t let me ride the Ultra very long and I didn’t get to feel the batwing on the highway. I can see how you would like it in long rides. Not as much air moves around the rider as the RK and that could be an issue on hot days. I didn’t really feel the heat from the engine everyone talks about, but again it was a short ride.

So I’m not sure what to do. To be honest, my 02 RKC is a great bike. No issues and she is good looking. It has 22000 miles and while I know that isn’t a huge amount, I wouldn’t mind starting new with a warranty. Also, I commute 30 miles one way every day in very heavy traffic and I could see where the bat wing would make that a little easier on cold days and in the rain. I wear a tie and slacks at work, so I like the idea of the lowers protecting the legs. So hmmm, I’m going to have to sleep on it. And what will the wife say? Oh I forgot about the wife.

It was fun. Now I can say I rode an Ultra.

Beary

Old 08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Get an Ultra

Old 08-14-2008, 09:16 PM
soundman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definately get an Ultra!! I totally love mine. The wife loves it too.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Get an Ultra
...+1

Old 08-14-2008, 09:24 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

I had an '07 Ultra for 13 mos before my accident (thanks the the ID 10 T who dropped a bundle of silt fencing) on 4/25. In those 13 mos, I put 18,300 miles on it moving up from a softail. Wouldn't trade an Ultra for anything now!

Will be buying a new Ultra in December or January and will most likely do an '09 SE Ultra.

My advice...buy an '09 Ultra with ABS. The new frame eliminates the minor frame-flex that the 97 - 08 Touring bikes have when diving into a turn or driving on grooved concrete highways/roads and the 180mm (7.08 inches) rear tire on the '09 makes the ride just that much smoother! Couple that with the IDS (Isolated Drive System), ABS and 6 gal tank that started in '08 and you have one hell of an awesome bike! (note: the '97 -'08's with the MT85B16 rear is approx 5.51" wide)

- -
KoalaCowboy

Old 08-14-2008, 09:27 PM
dcountryboy
Cruiser

+2 you will love it

Old 08-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you get it you can change the fuel management system and get back the performance you had with your RK.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:34 PM
PSO169
Road Master

You will love the Ultra. I also had a 2002 Road King.

I love the radio and I carry a bunch of stuff.

My Ultra has the V&H Ovals and I just added the V&H dresser duals and I love the sound.

Get the Ultra, I still miss the Road King sometimes since it was my first and one of the first Firefighter Edition Road Kings in the area.

Jeff

Old 08-14-2008, 09:43 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesssman
Once you get it you can change the fuel management system and get back the performance you had with your RK.
That sounds good because I really don't want to go backwards. The RKC doesn't have what I would call gobs of power, but I'm satisfied with it and would like at least that in my next bike. I think I also read something on a different size sproket to help as well.

I am going to try and ride an 09 also but they want $24500 for those things.

Beary

Old 08-14-2008, 10:12 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rode a 08 SE Ultra and I didn't like it as much as my Standard.
If you git a Ultra, make em give you a quick release bracket so you can remove the tourpack and speakers when yer riding around close to home.
You will enjoy the bike without the extra weight.

Quick Reply: Rode my first Ultra