Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed new fairing speakers....My little review

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Installed new fairing speakers....My little review

Just installed a set of Infinity Reference Series 5022i speakers. I decided on the Reference over the Kappa series because they were a little cheaper, sounded just as good if not a little better, are only 1db less sensitive than the Kappas and they don't have an external crossover to worry about.

Install was a snap. Three screws out. Remove the stock speakers and their housing. Fit new speakers in the housing and reinstall. Only thing I ran into was the positive terminal fit loose. Just squeezed it a little with needle nose and problem solved.

My initial thoughts:
These speakers do sound better than the stock speakers. They handle hard rock better. They are not as harsh as the stock speakers and do not distort at the same volume levels. There is no more bass response than the stock speakers but you can't really expect much bass from a 5 1/4 driver. Midbass is a bit better. Imaging is also better as I can her distinct sounds now out of each speaker that I could not hear before with the same songs.

Is this a drastic upgrade??? No. Face it you are on a bike with 60mph+ wind rushing around you. No speaker is gonna have audiophile sound quality. Music on a bike is just sound. If I want great sound I will listen at home. It is a minimal upgrade at best. Would I do it again??? Probably not. If I had a chance to hear aftermarket speakers in the fairing and on the road before I bought them I probably would have stayed with the stock speakers.

I am sure there are gonna be a few that chime in talking about their $600 amp and speaker set-ups. I was into high-end car audio for several years. I know what sounds good and what it takes to sound good. And I am pretty sure I could do it on my Glide. I just do not feel the need. Music is a secondary thing when I am riding.

This was more of an experiment to see if sound quality could be improved with a speaker upgrade. I got my results.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:43 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also planning a speaker upgrade, but with a pair of JBL 527's rated at 2 ohm's. When I pull off the outer fairing to install the HD oil temp gauge kit in place of the stupid ambient temp gauge, I will also install the new speakers. I will post my results on the JBL's as soon as I get them in.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:47 PM
peapodcv
Cruiser

I feel the same way. At home I went all out on sound equ. years ago but I am still
ejoying top end sound from it and will be for years to come. I even went a little
nuts in my GMC . My stock 2007 RG stereo isn't bad as I can listen to music or
talk radio at 70mph+ just fine.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:01 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Monstermile I can relate brotha. 30 something yrs ago(showing my age)I was all into installing car stereo's and 2 channel amps custom 6x9 Jensen speaker cabs etc. With these sleds the environment we're listening to music in blows so specs of head units, speakers & amps I believe is much less relevant. I just picked up a used aftermarket fairing and I am presently building a stereo system and I feel like a kid in the candy store !

Old 08-13-2008, 10:23 PM
ragtyme
Tourer

If anybody figures out how to get a sub woofer into RG faring, please post it! It's all I lack now after ugrading to the J&M HP Fairing Speakers.
They are nice with separate mid-woofs and tweeters.
Spec’d at 8 ohms impedance and 140+ watts power

Old 08-14-2008, 06:21 AM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much to upgrade just the fairing speakers (uppers)?

Old 08-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jcbpa
How much to upgrade just the fairing speakers (uppers)?

Depends on what ya want. I got those Infinitys for less than $60 shipped. You can go cheaper or more expensive. But in all honesty I doubt buying a more expensive speaker is going to make that much of a difference. Best thing to do is listen and figure out what you like. I personally like the sound of Infinity car speakers.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:10 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

How about a write up on small amps that dont cost $200?

Old 08-14-2008, 07:18 AM
MikeTra
6th Gear

I agree! There are lot's of "mini-amps" out there for $20-$50... Has anyone installled one of those and if so, what was the outcome?
MT

Old 08-14-2008, 07:19 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Any issues with aftermarket speakers getting wet, If you get caught in the rain, especially a good soaking rain.

Quick Reply: Installed new fairing speakers....My little review