Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RG/SG.....Curiosity???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Tx2CaHD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RG/SG.....Curiosity???

For a long time I debated about getting a bagger... "yes" of course, then I was debating between the RG or the SG, well I went with SG about 2 months ago, couldn't get over the RG Nose.... but now the more and more RG's I see it's starting to grow on me. Don't get me wrong I love my SG, but I am curious, for those of you who have ridden both, what's your take on the two... did I make the right choice????

Old 08-13-2008, 12:19 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do a lot of serious riding and comfort is more important to you than looks, you made the right choice. On the other hand, if you don't put a lot of miles on your bike in a year and comfort isn't your paramount concern, the Road Glide is the ticket because, imo, it wins the looks contest hands down. I just think they look way cool.

Last edited by XTrooper3936; 08-13-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:28 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tx2CaHD
For a long time I debated about getting a bagger... "yes" of course, then I was debating between the RG or the SG, well I went with SG about 2 months ago, couldn't get over the RG Nose.... but now the more and more RG's I see it's starting to grow on me. Don't get me wrong I love my SG, but I am curious, for those of you who have ridden both, what's your take on the two... did I make the right choice????
Went back and forth on this 3 times. In short:

Love the RG handling, like the better aerodynamics, like the lighter steering feeling on the forks. Think it does better in dirty air around Semi trucks. Do NOT like it better in crosswinds, I feel the rider has LESS wind protection and more buffeting overall.

Love the Batwing look, I think you have better wind protection and less buffeting. I think the batwing does better in crosswinds due to the smaller profile, but has the slight "wiggle" when stuck in Semi turbulence.

In short, while there is a lot I like about the RG, I think the batwing has better protection, and less buffeting on a continual basis. So I have chosen to stay with the batwing because while the "wiggle" when caught in dirty air (passing trucks etc) and the drag felt when going into a strong crosswind are not optimal, those are OCCASIONAL issues. The more buffeting and lesser protection to the rider and passenger on the RG are CONSTANT issues.

I know that by adding lowers and getting just the right windshield can improve the buffeting on the RG, but I did not want to make a 27K purchase based on "I hope I can get this set up to my liking" And I did NOT want the unvented lowers that you are stuck with on the RG, especially as I don't like lowers at all to begin with.

There ARE some who have switched from Batwing to Sharknose, and have gone BACK to the batwing. Monstermile comes to mind.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:02 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

I love the sportier and less farkled look of my roadglide, but its my bike. Unless someone else is gonna be paying for it, get whichever one floats your boat.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:07 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as you are happy with the bike that is what really counts

i rented both bikes before i bought i rented the rg in vegas on a windy day

and i thought the rg handled better in the wind with the fixed fairng i added

a clearview windshield med made a big difference less wind @ higher speeds

ride safe

Old 08-13-2008, 01:15 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Tx2CaHD
YOU bought the bike you liked... so?? YES you made the right choice, I picked the Road Glide, because I liked it... so I made the right choice

Old 08-13-2008, 01:18 PM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace
Went back and forth on this 3 times. In short:

Love the RG handling, like the better aerodynamics, like the lighter steering feeling on the forks. Think it does better in dirty air around Semi trucks. Do NOT like it better in crosswinds, I feel the rider has LESS wind protection and more buffeting overall.

Love the Batwing look, I think you have better wind protection and less buffeting. I think the batwing does better in crosswinds due to the smaller profile, but has the slight "wiggle" when stuck in Semi turbulence.

In short, while there is a lot I like about the RG, I think the batwing has better protection, and less buffeting on a continual basis. So I have chosen to stay with the batwing because while the "wiggle" when caught in dirty air (passing trucks etc) and the drag felt when going into a strong crosswind are not optimal, those are OCCASIONAL issues. The more buffeting and lesser protection to the rider and passenger on the RG are CONSTANT issues.

I know that by adding lowers and getting just the right windshield can improve the buffeting on the RG, but I did not want to make a 27K purchase based on "I hope I can get this set up to my liking" And I did NOT want the unvented lowers that you are stuck with on the RG, especially as I don't like lowers at all to begin with.

There ARE some who have switched from Batwing to Sharknose, and have gone BACK to the batwing. Monstermile comes to mind.

+1 - couldn't have summed it up better myself except for the fact that I too made the switch from the batwing to the sharknose, and now I've traded back to a SG. I can't wait to get it!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them - both are terrific bikes. For longer distance overnight tours, I would lean toward the Road Glide because of the roominess of the cockpit and the slightly better aerodynamics and handling. But I had a Street Glide as a loaner bike for a few weeks, and I really liked it, especially for commuting and shorter day trips. Either bike can be set up for just about any use and in the long run, I'm not sure I would prefer one over the other - personal taste about the styling would probably win the day...

Old 08-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

I love the look of the the Road Glide so much better than the batwing bikes. I have ridden the Street Glide and did not feel any better wind protection. When I ride my Glide, the steering feels lighter and the wind does not unsettle the front end. If I was forced to buy a new bike it would be a Road Glide. With all this said, if you put me on a RG, SG or EG you will find one happy biker!!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:54 PM
speckfisher
Road Master

I also road both and they do have similiar and different riding aspects. I bought the SG but might buy the RG when this one is paid off. The stability of a fixed fairing is self-evident.

Quick Reply: RG/SG.....Curiosity???