Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Tie Down Points on an 07 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008 | 03:19 PM
RalphPS
|
Stage II
Default Trailer Tie Down Points on an 07 Ultra

We will be trailering our 07 Ultra to the mountains in a few weeks. I have a good trailer available with the tire chock and good tie down posts. My question is what are the best points on an Ultra to connect the tie down straps.

The passenger foot board area looks reasonably strong for the rear and I wonder about the crash bar for the front.

Any ideas or first hand experience?

-Ralph-

Old 08-12-2008 | 03:29 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

First off, I assume ( yeah I know) that you have a real good set of tie downs and a set of extenders ( the double loop straps).
Wrap the extenders around the front forks above the bottom fork tree, run the tie downs to you anchor points. I only use the front tie downs, never needed to tie the rear, but I would use the rear section of the frame for a anchor point, not engine guards or peg mounts...

enjoy your trip.

Old 08-12-2008 | 05:06 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

This may help

Attached Thumbnails Trailer Tie Down Points on an 07 Ultra-left-front-1.jpg   Trailer Tie Down Points on an 07 Ultra-right-front-2.jpg   Trailer Tie Down Points on an 07 Ultra-right-front-3.jpg   Trailer Tie Down Points on an 07 Ultra-right-passenger-4.jpg   Trailer Tie Down Points on an 07 Ultra-right-passenger-5.jpg  

Old 08-12-2008 | 06:47 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

good info thanks guys -ride safe

Old 08-12-2008 | 07:38 PM
Conehead
Road Captain

soos, where did you get the adjustable riders pegs? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Old 08-12-2008 | 08:11 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

Are you referring to the Kuryakyn Passenger Pegs?
Originally Posted by Conehead
soos, where did you get the adjustable riders pegs? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Old 08-12-2008 | 08:30 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

I had to trailer my Road King once 'cause of a flat rear. I had real good luck taking a couple of 6' 2x6s, my Paslode cordless nailer, and a set of 4 ratchet tie-downs on a wood-floored utility trailer with a perimeter rail. Used the 2x6s as the ramp, tied the handlebars to the front corners of the trailer, tied the rear crashbars to the trailer to snub the rear end, used the nailer to fasten the 2x6s to the deck both sides of both tires, then fully compressed the front forks with the front tie-downs.

I would not use any method which allowed either end's suspension to remain active.

Old 08-12-2008 | 10:08 PM
Conehead
Road Captain

Yep, That's them! I finally found them Thanks!

Old 08-12-2008 | 11:09 PM
wolfjack
Advanced

Originally Posted by RalphPS
We will be trailering our 07 Ultra to the mountains in a few weeks. I have a good trailer available with the tire chock and good tie down posts. My question is what are the best points on an Ultra to connect the tie down straps.

The passenger foot board area looks reasonably strong for the rear and I wonder about the crash bar for the front.

Any ideas or first hand experience?

-Ralph-
Crash bars at front and front of saddle bag bars at rear. That is how dealer showed me on my first bike and I have hauled it thousands of miles. They said never handle bars or front fork...

Old 08-13-2008 | 02:24 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

I tie from the front frame down tubes, pulled forward, into the chock, and down. Userthe passenger foot peg brackets for the rear. Handle bars are to weak for the weight of a big street bike. Crash bars are too weak, IMO, as well. Would be O.K. if nothing never happened.... probably, but I've seen some survive accidents if tied properly, i.e. to the frame!

Quick Reply: Trailer Tie Down Points on an 07 Ultra