Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air horn recommendations....????

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 01:14 PM
hogdvr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the mini-beast and have had no problems. It is loud enough to get everyone's attention.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:30 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had Rivco's installed since 12/06, purchased on Ebay from Eastern Performance ($169 shipped), and they look and work great. I would recommend using some dielectric grease on the relay connectors, as before I did that I had some problems with occasional misfires (no sound).

The compressor fits in the cubby hole forward of the battery on my '07, but I'm not sure about '08's with ABS. A friend with an non-ABS '08 said there is no cubby hole on '08's, and mounted his under the right side cover. Since ABS bikes use that area for ABS hardware I don't know where you would mount the compressor. It's not large, so I could see it being mounted somewhere like between the saddlebag and wheel, perhaps wire-tied to the frame. I'm not sure how water would affect it, though, as where I have mine located I doubt if it would ever get wet.

These horns have one negative: The caps are plastic and break easily. Just tighten them enough to hold and no more, as if you go all the way they will crack. I tightened mine too tight from the beginning and both have cracked. Instead of paying Rivco $25 for a new set I fixed them with JB Weld. You can't see them with fairing lowers installed anyway. This is my only complaint.

For me this was not a tough install, but there are some wiring chores since a relay is used. You also need to route the air hose from the horns to the compressor, in my case a matter of running it over the engine and through a hole in the frame to the cubby hole. The hose has abrasion-resistent insulation on it, so engine vibration shouldn't be a problem.

I would recommend these horns to anyone who wants a meaningful decibel increase while also getting a component that doesn't detract from the bike's appearance. I personally think it enhanced the appearance even though that's not the reason I bought the Rivco's, and I get frequent compliments on them. A few bikes in this area have the Howard's Horn installed, and IMO the Rivco is better looking.

Last edited by iclick; 08-12-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hdvrodsg
Check out the Pro-Pad brand Mini Beast Air Horn. The chrome housing is just slightly larger then the stock horn. Plus it's self contained.
+1 on the Mini Beast. And the best place to find them for less $$$ is on Ebay. I paid $128 including shipping. Installed it in less than 1 hour. First time I tried it out, it about blew my wife out of the garage. Yeah, it's loud -- and gets drivers' attention! And it mounts right where the old horn was -- without interference with the lowers on my Ultra.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Add my vote for the mini-beast. I like the look, it was an easy install and it is loud!

Attached Thumbnails Air horn recommendations....????-img_0559.jpg  
Old 08-12-2008, 03:19 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Eastern Performance....$119.95 shipped to your door.....

Old 08-12-2008, 04:01 PM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am totally pleased with my MiniBeast air horn.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:02 PM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Howards duo horns. None louder or deeper. Dont like the high notes of the others. They are larger and heaver but worth it. Paid $147. The chrome is great. I have a ultra with lowers so I had to cut a piece of aluminum to move them back 2 inches. Love mine.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:29 PM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air Horn Recommendations.....

By all means....RIVCO.
Easy install, work good, look good. No problems at all after 2years. They WILL get a cage driver's attention. You can find them on EBAY for $169.00

Old 08-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had one very similar to the mini beast its Nautalas Sable and it fell apart from vibrations. Must have been when my motor mount was going bad?

Anyway, it was a bit louder then the stock POS (H-D must have taken EPA sound regulatons to extrems and applied them to the stock horn as well thinking it would help them be compliant?? ). Prior to the Sable horn falling apart, it STILL was not loud enough to get the attention of any one!

IMHO, get MACK truck dual trumpet air horns. Air tank, onboard compressor the entire 9 yards of stuff to make work. THEN and ONLY then would you begin to stand a chance upagainst a Semi with radio on an AC running with driver on cell phone!

Pretty much anything below 159db's your NOT going to be doing anything but peeing into the wind.

Rant off. Thanks for listening to my $0.02.

Good luck with being heard running anything your running otherwise!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:27 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomWoodgeard
By all means....RIVCO.
Easy install, work good, look good. No problems at all after 2years. They WILL get a cage driver's attention. You can find them on EBAY for $169.00
Got a Rivco dual trumpet air horn in chrome from Eastern Performance off ebay for $159 shipped! One of my riding buddies has that exact horn and it is not only loud as hell, the fit and finish is just perfect. A very high quality horn IMHO.

Quick Reply: Air horn recommendations....????