Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My turn with the KlockWerks windshield on the Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:09 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My turn with the KlockWerks windshield on the Road Glide

I know this topic has probably been beat to death, but here goes anyway...

I have been only marginally pleased with my -1" Clearview, so when I ran across a slightly used 12" KlockWerks windshield at my dealer for a very good price, I bought it hoping it might provide a better solution. So after installing it in his parking lot, I took off on a 600 mile jaunt to see how it performed. Here's my review:

First of all, the quality and fit are excellent - it really looks good on the bike. I bought all new wellnuts and fasteners and mounted it directly to the fairing without any weatherstripping. It's easily the best looking windshield out there.

It's great to be able to look over the windshield - it's so short that you get the feeling you are riding without any windshield at all. The tint is darker than the Clearview, and I think it looks great against the vivid black paint of my Road Glide. Other posters have suggested that it would be better if it was 1/2 wider to cover the seam between the inner and outer fairing, and I agree. But other than that, it is perfect.

KlockWerks makes mention of how the stock windshield/faring combo provides some uplift and how their windshield puts some downward force on the frame, increasing stability. I agree completely, and it was a surprise just how much downforce this windshield provides. When I first pulled onto the interstate after mounting the windshield, the bike felt heavy - almost "sluggish" and "thick". After a couple of miles I didn't notice it. In fact, once I got up to my destination - the Cherohala Skyway - I was really surprised at how well the bike handled. I didn't notice it at first, but after scraping the footboards on several curves, I realized I was taking them faster than usual and I think it was because of the increased stability. The bike felt "planted" and I just naturally took the curves at greater speed. Didn't even plan it that way - it just happened because the "edge" was out there further, if you know what I mean.

As for wind, buffeting, and comfort it's a mixed bag. My vitals: 5'11", 31 inch inseam, 34 inch sleeve. The bike has an ultra seat instead of the stocker, and I think it's about 1/2 in taller. Wind around the hands is exactly like the Clearview, and they are well protected. There is definitely much more air hitting my helmet, but the brap-brap-brap buffeting is gone. Instead, it's more of a steady blast of air and plenty of it. Not as much as no windshield at all, but loud enough to make it impossible to hear the radio at freeway speeds. With earplugs and my full-face Shoei, it was manageable, and a bit more pleasant than my Clearview. Definitely not a perfectly calm pocket behind the fairing, but it offered comparable torso and arm protection as the Clearview. My faceshield caught more bugs than with the Clearview. I'm eager to see how it handles with my 3/4 and 1/2 helmets.

I think it's a keeper. I haven't had an opportunity to ride two-up with it to see how my passenger reacts, and that may make the difference. But with the improved looks and slightly better wind management, I think I prefer it over the Clearview. It's a toss-up, and I'm wondering how it will perform in the rain and whether it will be comfortable in colder weather.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:25 AM
tlr
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. I have a clearview on my RG now. I actually like it alot. i have very little wind or buffeting. I have the 1"lower than stock model and sitting on a Corbin Solo. That being said I now have a FLTRSE on order and know I will have to change the shield out and was hoping that the KlockWerks was going to work well. Ted

Old 08-12-2008, 06:27 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep the clearview works better. But hey looks is everything to some people.
So to each his own.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had almost the same exact circumstances and agree with the assessment totally. The only difference is I am 6'1. The only thing I was disappointed in was the way the windshield was represented. In the video showing the smoke test they show all the air going over and around the rider and they talk about this still pocket of air. That does not happen. Like you said, it is like riding without a shield except it does take the wind off your chest. I did not like riding with my half helmet using this shield. As far as for the passenger, my wife doesn't like it because she sys it is too much wind for her. She wears contacts and she says they get too dried out with that much wind.

I love everything about my my Road Glide except for the way the rider gets the air. My Ultra was definitely smoother with less buffeting. The Clearview extra large is the best I have tried to date. I have thought about going back too the KlockWerks 12" flair but I don't like riding with the full face helmet. T.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:53 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 489 Likes on 255 Posts

Not everything works on every bike, or for each rider. I removed the windshield and felt my '05 RG was better off without the windshield... I'd like a deflector, or maybe a small KW, just for the "look" After several hundreds of thousands of miles without a windshield, the RG is my first bike WITH a windshield. (bought used Dec 07 w/10k )... but then, I've only put 10,000 miles on the RG this year... maybe I need to get used to it... I dunno

Old 08-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

Hey is that Ultra seat a perfect fit? Doesn't it push you too far forward? T.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:15 AM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pretty much agree with the write-up except for the fact that the shield is a keeper. Being 6'3" there was just too much wind for me - if I want that much wind I'll ride my Road King! I am going to sell my 12" KW since I have only had it on my bike for 300 miles and the bike is traded due to all of the buiffeting issues.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:51 AM
cderider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 5"8" and the Klockwerks is perfect for me and my size. Any taller would put you into the direct wind stream, radio is fine for me at 80+ mph. I still duck a little in heavy rain but otherwise it's ideal for me. It is a shorter shield for those maybe 5' 10" or less IMO.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:48 AM
tatuaje
Advanced

at 6'2" the KW was just too much wind for me. i'm too used to my clearview and my "pocket" of calm air. makes long trips much less tiring. but to each his own! i gave my kw to a friend who had a shorty windshield on his RG and LOVES it!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hoz88
I pretty much agree with the write-up except for the fact that the shield is a keeper. Being 6'3" there was just too much wind for me - if I want that much wind I'll ride my Road King! I am going to sell my 12" KW since I have only had it on my bike for 300 miles and the bike is traded due to all of the buiffeting issues.
How much do you want for it? I'll give it a try, I'm only 5'10" so this may work for shorter riders

Let me know in a PM or e-mail if you really want to sell it. If you're close enough to the Quad-Cities we could meet there and no shipping