Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 Mile service went well - mostly

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008 | 11:08 PM
fotoflojoe
|
Tourer
Default 1000 Mile service went well - mostly

Did the 1k service on my Ultra tonight. Everything went fine except for one thing; changing out the oil filter. Can someone please, Please, PLEASE tell me what the trick is to removing an oil filter without making a bloody mess?!?!? Between this bike and my old Road King, I've done four oil changes. Each time, I end up dumping oil all over the voltage regulator and onto the garage floor.

BAHHH!!

Old 08-11-2008 | 11:47 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

I swear no matter how careful you try not to make a mess it is inevitable. Someone makes a plastic drain tray that diverts it around the v/r. I forgot who sells them, J&P, Drag, Dennis Kirk, even HD. But what works well and is cheap is take some aluminum foil and lay it under the filter and head, form a trough so the oil runs into the catch can. THEN take a long punch (screwdriver works too) punch a hole in the lowest portion of the filter and let it drain for 5-10 mins. Then when you spin off the filter there is nothing in it to make a mess. Any spilled oil can be cleaned up with brake clean.

Old 08-11-2008 | 11:55 PM
DeckerDude
Road Master

Cut a 1 liter/quart diet Pepsi bottle in half and slip it under the filter...Works great you spill a drop...

Old 08-12-2008 | 01:53 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

a piece of tin foil work excelent! you can shape it and channel it anyway you like. Plus it slips under the oil filter and filter housing.
I slip the tin foil under mine, punch a hole in the bottom part of the filter, let it drain for a bit, R&R the oil filter and not one spilled drop of oil.

Old 08-12-2008 | 02:03 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by DeckerDude
Cut a 1 liter/quart diet Pepsi bottle in half and slip it under the filter...Works great you spill a drop...

Be sure and don't use regular Pepsi or a Mnt Dew bottle!! (Sorry, couldn't resist

Old 08-12-2008 | 06:45 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

This is what I do. I loosen the filter, then take one of the small zip lock bags and slide it over the filter and finsih removing it. After the filter comes off I hold the bag there for a minute or so to catch the oil. Then I zip it closed filter oil and all.

Old 08-12-2008 | 07:12 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

I jam a piece of cardboard in there before removing the oil filter. I like the tin foil idea too.

Old 08-12-2008 | 07:35 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JustDennis
This is what I do. I loosen the filter, then take one of the small zip lock bags and slide it over the filter and finsih removing it. After the filter comes off I hold the bag there for a minute or so to catch the oil. Then I zip it closed filter oil and all.
I used to do it that way until I bought the little black plastic tray thing that goes right under the filter. Where there is a will there is a way....you can get it done without spilling oil all over the bike.

Old 08-12-2008 | 07:46 AM
Rick51
Account Deactivated

Do you have a picture of this black tray so I know what it looks like?

Originally Posted by biz44
I used to do it that way until I bought the little black plastic tray thing that goes right under the filter. Where there is a will there is a way....you can get it done without spilling oil all over the bike.

Old 08-12-2008 | 08:00 AM
Point Man
Cruiser

2 plastic supermarket bags completely over filter before you spin it off. Take bags and filter off all together to cath the drippings. Spin filter off with right hand while I wipe any drippage with my left then install new filter. No mess so far....tried the tinfoil and other ways; this is quicker and works well for me...

Quick Reply: 1000 Mile service went well - mostly