Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 Mile service went well - mostly

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008 | 01:19 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fotoflojoe
Did the 1k service on my Ultra tonight. Everything went fine except for one thing; changing out the oil filter. Can someone please, Please, PLEASE tell me what the trick is to removing an oil filter without making a bloody mess?!?!? Between this bike and my old Road King, I've done four oil changes. Each time, I end up dumping oil all over the voltage regulator and onto the garage floor.

BAHHH!!
I use a 2 liter Coke bottle sliced in half almost all the way to the cap, but leave the end by the cap normal. I then loosen the oil filter just enoungh so that it doesn't drip. I slide the coke bottle under and around the filter and then finish unscrewing it by hand and let it drop into the 2 liter bottle along with all the oil which goes down to the end with the cap which is on. I also have a rag tucked underneath in the front to catch any drip while I remove the bottle just in case. It works perfect without one drip going anywhere except into the bottle. I've done it this way twice and it has worked great each time doing it this way. You can even reuse the bottle if you want to.

Old 08-12-2008 | 01:36 PM
fotoflojoe
|
Tourer

All great ideas, thanks everyone! Tried the 2 liter soda bottle approach, I must have cut it wrong, 'cause it failed miserably. Next time, I'm gonna give the tinfoil trick a whirl.

Thanks again!

Old 08-12-2008 | 01:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I use the plastic thingie sold in various places, e.g.:

http://*******.com/5ts7hg

This tray helps, but some oil sneaks around it. I don't have a problem with this except I would rather the rubber engine mount didn't get soaked in oil. I've tried wrapping it with plastic wrap, but can't get to it with an oil cooler installed. I usually just accept some oil contamination, then use S100 or Simple Green to remove it thoroughly after the fact.

Old 08-12-2008 | 02:15 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member

I know most of you already have a place to bring your old oil and filters but this website might help someone. www.earth911.org I used it a few times to see who accepts stuff like oil,filters,paint,old electronics,and household chemicals instead of dumping them in the trash.