Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Installing Brake Light Kit on Tour-Pak

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Help Installing Brake Light Kit on Tour-Pak

Okay, it took me three hours to get the nerve to drill the holes to put the airwing rack on top... but it went well. I'd like any suggestions about cutting the pack from those with experience. I can figure out the template, but I wonder how much tolerance there actually is if I make a mistake? Also, what saw to use... hand saw with a bimetal blade 18t?

The darn pak is so nice to look at, it seems like war to cut into it... I know the inside will be covered... Any help? Moral support? How about starting a support group... "Hello, my name is J and I botched up my tour-pak because I was a yellow bellied sapsucker..." Really.... any pointers?

Old 08-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Point Man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jcbpa,

I bought an aftermarket H-D clone tour pak not long ago that was not drilled out for the lock set. I bought a Dremel tool kit or about $65.00 to cut into the tour pak. It worked great. The hole for the lock was a unique shape and the Dremel did it right.

Remember to tape off any area on the fiberglass your drill/cut, etc. to prevent/minimize paint/fiberglass damage.

Just my $.02...........good luck.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:50 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

Thanks, I have a Dremmel, I'm not that steady with it. I guess I can practice on a Corvette... yeah right!

Old 08-11-2008, 04:51 PM
rookiedan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was really nervous installing the lights but measure twice on the template and center punch the corner holes, drill a 1/4" in the corners then I used a Dremel tool. You need something high speed to avoid any chips. The only nervous part was going around the corners. If you follow the template you could stay inside the lines and still have enough room then use silicone that's provided on the inside. I would do another in a minute, just take your time. It took me about 3 hours complete with taking the pack off installing the lights and putting it back in place. Reply if you need more info

Old 08-11-2008, 08:13 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

Any ideas on the Dremmel bit to use?

Old 08-11-2008, 09:02 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Here is a link to a step by step with pictures I did when I installed brake lights in my tour pac.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...ake+light+tour

there is quite a bit of room for screwing it up. the paper template gives you plenty of margin. If you still feel a bit uneasy about cutting into it, just start with a small hole in the center of the template guidelines and work out from there. You will quickly see how much margin you will have.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:10 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

Thanks for the link! I'll let you know how it goes. Have to install ceiling molding, promised for 2 years, so I'm motivated to get that done and on to this.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

It's only money........a couple of beers to get those hands shaking and you'll do just fine

Old 08-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Bad Pig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drink a beer to knock the edge off and just go for it! good luck, post pics when your done.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:36 AM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

Nah, I'm going into the hospital this morning, I think I'll start it this afternoon before the anesthesia wears off. At least I won't feel my pain!

Quick Reply: Help Installing Brake Light Kit on Tour-Pak