Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volts Dropping

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Odd Job
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Volts Dropping

Hope someone can give me some help on this.....noticed my voltmeter was dropping from 14V to below 12V when I was stopped idleing at a light with the brakes on, draining very slowly. When I started rolling, the meter went back to 14V.

A few weeks ago on a ride my regulator took a dump and I subsequently replaced it. A week after that my stator took a dump. My stator & regulator are brand spanking new and again on a ride today I noticed today the volts dropping again from 14V to 12.5/13V. Battery is new also. Only happens when I'm sitting at a light or stopped with my brakes on. At normal idle (950-1000rpms) without touching the brakes the volts are at 14V. Fuses are ok, no short that I can determine, no new accessories, main breaker is about 6 months old, cannot locate any frayed wiring, bike runs great!

Need help!! Thanks!!

Old 08-11-2008, 05:23 AM
crewzer
6th Gear

From what you have posted, in sounds like a short in your braking curcuit AFTER one of the switches. Try putting it in neutral and idling. If no drop, then apply the brake and see if the voltage falls. If this occurs then that is the issue. If not, then the problem is most likely a loose altenator belt.

Also, have someone look at the brake light while you hit the brakes (front and back individually of course). The lights might, and actually probably will be, acting very queer if that is the problem.

Hard to troubleshoot without hands on.

Sure you don't live close to me lol or I would help in person.

Good luck, I'll try to come back and check this thread.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:48 AM
pokeraddict
Cruiser

Assuming your brake lights are working, then I would check all connections carefully. Also keep in mind that new batteries can go bad so if the connections look good, get the battery tested.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:03 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

The first things I check when there is any electrical problem is 1. The condition of the battery (I know you said it was a new battery, but still remove it from the bike and load test it). 2. I always check to make 100% sure that the battery lead terminals are tight on both ends, and their mounting points are also tight and clean on both ends....check both the positive and negative.
Then start diagnosing your problem.....otherwise you just going to be going around in circles.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:04 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by crewzer
If not, then the problem is most likely a loose altenator belt.
Huh?Where is the alternator belt?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:04 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

From what you have posted, in sounds like a short in your braking curcuit AFTER one of the switches. Try putting it in neutral and idling. If no drop, then apply the brake and see if the voltage falls. If this occurs then that is the issue. If not, then the problem is most likely a loose altenator belt.

Also, have someone look at the brake light while you hit the brakes (front and back individually of course). The lights might, and actually probably will be, acting very queer if that is the problem.

....Alternator belt?....(is that one of the "upgrades" on 09's?)...

Old 08-11-2008, 12:23 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

[quote=crewzer;3719977]falls. If not, then the problem is most likely a loose altenator belt.

I have the worlds best battery! I must of lost the belt when it was new. But it is still holding a charge!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:07 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

could be the alternator belt. I would also check the power steering fluid and the air conditioner freon level also. Could also be your fan clutch slipping. When is the last time you changed the wiper fluid?

Old 08-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Odd Job
Tourer
Thumbs up

Great tip.....I was looking at that next. I was thinking about the run/stop/brake module that is hooked up...the casing is cracked a bit, might have a small short in there not enough to pop the fuse...thanks all for responding...any more tips, please send my way..I'll be in the garage checking the trouble spots.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Odd Job
Tourer

Crewzer.....you were right...I did have a short after the brake switch. I removed my run/turn/brake module as the casing was cracked..started the bike, let it idle at specs and applied the brake...only about .5 drain and the meter held at 13.5v. Appears the problem is solved. Will be sure when I purchase a new module and test the system again. Thanks for all the responses!! I'm a happy camper for now!!

Quick Reply: Volts Dropping