Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped My Bike and Picked It Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dropped My Bike and Picked It Up

Well, I'm a short fella at 5'6". The other day I stopped in a spot with lots of loose gravel and you know what happened -- left foot went down, hit the gravel, and slipped. With the bike leaning to the left, over she went in slow motion. Absolutely no damage thanks to the engine and bag guards. So, I figured it was time to put what I'd been told on this forum to the test. Put my butt against the seat, grabbed the rail on the rear seat and the handlebar and walked the bike upright using my leg muscles. I couldn't believe how easy it was. If you're ever in this situation, save yourself a hernia and do it the way it's taught, both in the MSF course and by those here in the forum. Thanks for all the past excellent advise -- sure came in handy for me.

The following users liked this post:
tbeatybeaty (09-05-2021)
Old 08-10-2008, 10:39 PM
speckfisher
Road Master

good job, all technique

tbeatybeaty (09-05-2021)
Old 08-10-2008, 10:49 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I started back riding again back in 96... As I left the shop, I stopped at the end of the drive - left foot down... Next time I was back in the shop, I was shown why the left foot down is a "drop" waiting to happen... Think about it.... stop, left foot out, lean left.... if there is ANY problem, bike is leaning left - only place to go is down... I was taught to stop "straight" don't lean. both feet down... This is gone over in the Saftey class..
Glad your bike was OK and it did teach a lesson... I too am 5'6" and have dropped the bike twice - each time is was my fault, deep gravel 1st time. second - stopped on the edge of a driveway drop off of about 3 inches... Neither foot was able to reach, lol,,, over I went... stupid mistake...

Old 08-10-2008, 10:57 PM
phat96
Road Warrior

Did that the day I bought my bike, signed the papers and went out to my bike got ready, lifted the kick stand and turned the handlebars left, over she went. Out of fear I guess, I lifted it right up off of the crash bar. My sales man came over and asked if I was ok. I told glad I got that of the way. Then I got out of there a little embarrassed.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:11 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

It's just one of those things that's going to happen now and then, so might as well know how to pick it up without any help. One of the most valuable things I've learned.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:18 AM
ironhead3fan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad it wasn't any worse than that.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact that there was no damage is the biggest reason I put a set of bag guards on my 08 Streetglide. I seen a guy do one of those "fall over" things one day when our HOG chapter was pulling into someplace for a rest stop. Put his foot in some sand and slipped and over he went. He was on a 08 UC in anni colors.....and when we picked up the bike I was looking all over for damage to the gold & black.....hot dam.....not a mark. That was it.....I ordered a set of saddlebag crash bars that same day.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member

Glad to hear you or the bike didn't get hurt.

tbeatybeaty (09-05-2021)
Old 08-11-2008, 08:59 PM
motor134
Intermediate
Thumbs up

Basic Police motorcycle training teaches you that you should typically put your left foot on the ground, cover rear brake, keep your bike in gear, but there is always exceptions, Clean foot dirty foot is always something to think about when stopping. If you are riding in a tire track and you stop at a light or sign you should know where you are in respect to the lane. Is your foot going down in oil? Just something to think about.

tbeatybeaty (09-05-2021)
Old 08-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by motor134
Basic Police motorcycle training teaches you that you should typically put your left foot on the ground, cover rear brake, keep your bike in gear, but there is always exceptions, Clean foot dirty foot is always something to think about when stopping. If you are riding in a tire track and you stop at a light or sign you should know where you are in respect to the lane. Is your foot going down in oil? Just something to think about.
Yep, it's made me much more aware of what type of footing I have when I come to a stop now. It doesn't take much to lose your footing. And yeah, there's a lot to be said for bag guards!

Quick Reply: Dropped My Bike and Picked It Up