Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil1 15W50 in Primary

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 385 Likes on 219 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-archive-no-new-posts/18046-synthetic-oil-analysis.html

I stand corrected. According to the above thread 15w-50 does have some Moly in it. It has less than Mobil VTwin 20w-50 though HD's Syn3 doesn't have any.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:27 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I know the 10W40 and 20W50 has additives that can hurt the clutch, but I was wondering about the 15W50. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I read somewhere that the oils with those additives have a logo on the bottle that indicates those additives. What does that logo look like.

I want to use an oil that can be found in most stores and Mobil 1 does that. But I would like to use the same oil for both the engine and primary.

Thanks for any help and comments.
M1 contains moly, which some say is not favorable for use in wet clutches. Regardless, a high-tech oil like M1 is not necessary for the primary. I run Castrol GTX 20w50 and it is perfect for that location, costing <$3/qt. at Wal-Mart.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:59 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Mobil 1 15w-50 in the motor and primary, $23 for a 5 qt jug at Walmart. No problems here in the 20000 miles I've been using it.

Steve

Old 08-10-2008, 04:17 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used the standard Mobil 15W-50 in the primary for years, never had a problem.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:01 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
M1 contains moly, which some say is not favorable for use in wet clutches. Regardless, a high-tech oil like M1 is not necessary for the primary. I run Castrol GTX 20w50 and it is perfect for that location, costing <$3/qt. at Wal-Mart.
Yes, I've been running GTX 20w50 in my primary, but I'm changing to Mobil syn for two reasons:

First, it has been very hot here in Oklahoma. A Harley mechanic told me that synthetic in the primary would help reduce the heat.

Second, I changed the primary when it was still warm and I noticed the oil was foaming a little. I understand that Mobil synthetic resist foaming a little better, so I going to give it a try.

Thanks everyone for your help and comments.

Beary

Old 08-10-2008, 05:29 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
Yes, I've been running GTX 20w50 in my primary, but I'm changing to Mobil syn for two reasons:

First, it has been very hot here in Oklahoma. A Harley mechanic told me that synthetic in the primary would help reduce the heat.
There is relatively little heat issue in the primary, and little to generate heat. The clutch disks do create friction when engaging, but there should be little once engaged. The chain also should generate little heat. That said, let us know if you see a difference, but I don't know how you would quantify it. Next time you change the primary oil dip your finger in it. You should notice that it isn't particularly hot. Next time I change mine I'll check with a thermometer. The environment is far less stressful in the primary than in an engine, and any fossil oil should be able to deal with that environment.

Second, I changed the primary when it was still warm and I noticed the oil was foaming a little. I understand that Mobil synthetic resist foaming a little better, so I going to give it a try.
Foaming should not cause problems in the primary. Again, it is there for one purpose, to cool the chain and clutch disks. A little air in the mix isn't the same concern there as it would be in the engine, IMO. I've never noticed any aeration on my bikes.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys are really overthinking this oil in the primary issue. As iclick says, the main purpose of the oil in the primary is to help cool the chain and discs. I run Dexron III ATF, and use the cheapest stuff I can find, usually about a 1.69 a quart. Any good oil will work in the primary and those without friction modifiers are preferred.

The engine is a whole different matter and depends on the use - severe is high temps and high HP. I am currently running Mobil 1 20w-50, before that ran a 25w-60 dino oil and next am going to try some Redline 20w-50. The only difference i can see is that the 25w-60 ran a touch hotter, and consumption in 5k miles was about 3/4 qt. The Mobil 1 synthetic runs about 10 degrees cooler and comsumption was less than 1/2 qt in 5k miles. Oil is one of those "personal" things and some will swear better performance over others, but when it comes right down to it, all are very similar.

Last edited by Dalton; 08-10-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:07 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
There is relatively little heat issue in the primary, and little to generate heat. The clutch disks do create friction when engaging, but there should be little once engaged. The chain also should generate little heat. That said, let us know if you see a difference, but I don't know how you would quantify it. Next time you change the primary oil dip your finger in it. You should notice that it isn't particularly hot. Next time I change mine I'll check with a thermometer. The environment is far less stressful in the primary than in an engine, and any fossil oil should be able to deal with that environment.
This leads to a question I've been wondering, why does synthetic run cooler?

Beary

Old 08-10-2008, 06:16 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Dalton is right on the money. If you think about what is in an automatic tranny. They have bearings, gears, some type of friction material(discs or bands) and front wheel drives have chains. We run these for thousands of mile in our cars and trucks towing and otherwise abusing them and have very few problems. In your primary which has far less abuse and is changed much more frequently you will have no problem.
It's funny before the all mighty Harley gods said " USE THE SAME FLUID IN ALL THREE HOLES" you had a hard time convincing a customer to put anything but motor oil in the engine, primary fluid in the primary, nad gear oil in the tranny, but now it's alright!!!

Old 08-10-2008, 06:28 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In the primary, you should have a oil that says it is ok for a wet clutch.
Some choices are, AMSOIL 20w-50, AMSOIL Motorcycle 20w-50, Mobil 1 v twin 20-50, Syn3 or formula plus. I have used all of these.

Quick Reply: Mobil1 15W50 in Primary