Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Softail Classic or Road King

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:52 AM
HD1044
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage Softail Classic or Road King

Ok, am trying to decide between two bikes (see above). Has anyone had both and can give me the pro's and con's? Have ridden both and like them. Will be 99% one up riding and may not make really long trips. Just local riding through the mountains and such here in Arkansas.

Thanks!!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:02 AM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a RKC but have ridden a FI Heritage Softail. Both great bikes. The Heritage sits you lower, feet out further, bars higher, a little less comfortable over long hauls...just a bit more elemental Harley chopper to me. The RK evokes the 50-60s style which is different, but both really cool in my book.

As the Heritage sits a bit lower to the ground, around Arkansas curves it might drag floor-boards a bit sooner. Passengers will definitely go more for the RK for comfort. For styling...just cruising...I give the edge to the Heritage. For all around versitility to do it all, including long-hauls, the RK is hard to beat.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:44 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One up? Looking at a softail?
Id look at the Crossbones.
But thats just me.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:50 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 07 Fatboy, not too much different than the Heritage. I am going to get a Road King now and make the change. I don't really think you can go wrong with either. Surf the net and find an interesting online magazine test of the two bikes. It is from Popular Mechanics, and it has a multi-part test of the two bikes individually. It makes some comparisons about each though. It is a couple of years old, but good nevertheless (sometimes non-bike mags who don't have manufacturer ads come a little cleaner).

Old 08-08-2008, 11:59 AM
realbiker
Cruiser

As a owner of a Softail and a Streetglide, I'll try to be brief. If your going to enjoy the road, the tour bike is the hands down winner. A larger frame, with better geometry for manuvering. Air suspension for comfort, more room for a passenger. The ability to add cruise control and lots of other touring comforts. Rubber mounted alpha engine for smoothness at crusing speeds. At highway speed the rubber mounted engine will not put your hands to sleep as the Beta engine can do! The Softail is great for occasional cruisin ( bike night etc..). The Roadking will probably make you want to ride farther!

Last edited by realbiker; 08-08-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:13 PM
sgt1577
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned 2 Roadkings and have ridden softails that belonged to friends. The Roadking was much more comfortable for the long haul. I much prefer the hard bags that come on the Roadking

Old 08-08-2008, 12:31 PM
steelhead
Road Master

Both great bikes. I had my heart set on a Heritage and went into the dealer to deal on one when I saw my RKC and I have never looked back. Mile High King pretty much covers the points. Nothing bad to say about the Heritage though, they are great bikes and my wife is pondering one. The only things I would add are that on the Heritage, you feel like you are sitting in the bike and on teh RK, on the bike. To that end, I think the Heritage is easier to handle at low speeds in parking lots, etc. I prefer the A motor over the Heritage's counter balanced B motor. It is a little thing but I like the vibration at idle. Either way, you will enjoy your choice.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had some of all of them and the touring bikes are the way to go. Smoother ride, more comfort and locking saddlebags. You can take the windshield off and still look cool !!!