Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bearing trouble X-2

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:56 AM
acedantinne
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing trouble X-2

2nd IDS bearing went out this past week. I was going up hill route 902 to Summit Hill just out side Jim Thorpe. The drive belt slipped. Under load, going up hill. Turned around. down hill. drove home. Stay flat roads. The center of bearing, ***** bearings and cage, seals fell out. The bowl attached to the wheel recieved some damage, wear marks, grove on housing which holds the rubber cushions.
The real fix. Put the bike back to stock! the hell with the noise.
2nd X.
Order 3rd bearing. zanotti.
yes the bearing was pressed in per instructions.
We take long trips with bike just need the reliability factor on our side.
??? what if we were passing a tractor trailer on slight up hill? belt slip?
The first bearing failure. Change tire. check bearing Found IDS bearing alot of side play. replaced. center of bearing rock in and out of race. Grease showing outside seals.
yes I use a torque wrench. 95 foot # axle nut. Some of the people who are on this site know I have worked on motorcycles for over 40 years.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:11 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not going to pretend I know the answer to this problem because I don't, but I will state an observation I've made. I've read a lot of these IDS bearing failure threads and the overwhelming majority of them involve 2007 models that the IDS was retrofitted to. Conversely, failures of the IDS on factory-installed '08 models are as scarce as hen's teeth. Fact is, I've only read one such incident involving an '08.

Logic leads me to believe that somewhere in this fact lies the answer.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:15 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have over 10K on my IDS. Installed by me. no problems.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

I guess I'm lucky, my '07 SG doesn't make wierd noises, so I don't understand the need for the IDS. I did the 103" kit and had it tuned w/ SERT before I ever rode it. Could that be why it's quiet? One thing is for sure, you don't need the IDS to ride, but you can't ride if you have one and it fails. Most '07's don't rattle and whine. The IDS only masks a problem that can possibly be remedied. I'd take the damned thing off before it hurts you.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:30 PM
acedantinne
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
I guess I'm lucky, my '07 SG doesn't make wierd noises, so I don't understand the need for the IDS. I did the 103" kit and had it tuned w/ SERT before I ever rode it. Could that be why it's quiet? One thing is for sure, you don't need the IDS to ride, but you can't ride if you have one and it fails. Most '07's don't rattle and whine. The IDS only masks a problem that can possibly be remedied. I'd take the damned thing off before it hurts you.
I did remove the fix. back to stock.
Trooper, I agree most problems have been 07. Why? same bike/frame/ swing arm.