Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Bashing Just Confused????

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:47 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just stage 1 (my version not the dealers) and tru duals makes me happy. I did it for me, not cause I had to, but it does sound better and run cooler.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:15 AM
jimdeere
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think Harley owners spend a lot, talk to some Gold Wing owners. A guy I know bought one new in 05 and told me he has over $30,000 in it now. I spent $1150 for pipes, computer and a/c. I was perfectly satisifed with stock, just liked the sound and performance improvements.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:28 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by badlandr
Remember when we were kids the 1st thing you did was buy glass packs or Hooker headers to get that rumble next was a Holley 4 barrel carb or 2 and a set of Center line rims with 70s on the front and 60s or 50s on the back. J
That's why we call it a hobby!
oh those were the days remember side pipes on anything too!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:38 AM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer

Do what you like. I would tend to not listen to that guy at the dealership as he just wants to sell you crap. It was funny when I talked to folks at my dealership about different pipes; out of five guys I got five opinions.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 AM
speckfisher
Road Master

Got you loud and clear Peppa1. You are right, I made the decisions without a gun to my head!!!!! Racing and cruising are completely different. You race to win , you modify and you get a shortened lifespan on that motor and it becomes less dependable, but you keep up with the competition and your pit crew is right there to assist. You are not out there on that lonely highway with no cell phone contact when things go south!!!

I was just asking the forum what they thought. Gee Whizz, guess I got what I asked for. OUCH! from some of you, thanks for the rest you folks with kind words of wisdom.

Thanks for all of your imput and replies.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:09 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile True ....

Originally Posted by speckfisher
Got you loud and clear Peppa1. You are right, I made the decisions without a gun to my head!!!!! Racing and cruising are completely different. You race to win , you modify and you get a shortened lifespan on that motor and it becomes less dependable, but you keep up with the competition and your pit crew is right there to assist. You are not out there on that lonely highway with no cell phone contact when things go south!!!

I was just asking the forum what they thought. Gee Whizz, guess I got what I asked for. OUCH! from some of you, thanks for the rest you folks with kind words of wisdom.

Thanks for all of your imput and replies.
I believe these guys, on my old shovel I used to try to keep up, every year more performance mods. I bought the '08 and no longer care if I can go faster than everyone else. I did the exhaust for sound and I did do the air cleaner and Fuel-Pak because it was a good bang for the buck. So, now I run a little better than stock, but I can't outrun those 100" bikes, that's for sure, but I don't care. If I wanted to keep up, you are right, it is a never ending money pit, there is always someone more custom, faster, etc. I've worked in a few shops over the years and I would confidently say a bone stock bike today with good maintenance should easily turn 100,000 miles. Sure, it's gonna be hot, the brakes are going to squeal and every other thing people yell about, but it will still go. On the bright side, a couple months and no one will be complaining about our '08s anymore, the '09s are out and soon the "09 bashing will begin. Soon we'll be saying, "Man, I'm glad I bought an '08".

Old 08-08-2008, 11:25 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

One thing I've learned about forums is that the members tend to be the more extreme or passionate of the community. It is easy to think that the habits and behaviors of most folks are represented by the forum. But truth is forum members are a very small percentage of the whole and generally are not a good reflection of the average person. What I'm trying to say is it is easy to get caught up in all the hype on the forums and feel you need to do all these mods to get your bike up to what everyone has.

I hang around sports car forums as well and anyone who visits those forums would think that the Corvette has to get new pipes to sound as good as a Mustang before it is worthy of being a good sports car. The Mustang guys feel their cars aren’t worth spit until they get at least a cold air breather and better exhaust. Reality is the Corvette completely stock is the best sports car for the price and the Mustang doesn't have much competition either. Most folks don’t go out and spend $1500.00 on their bikes before it leaves the store just to cool the engine or get better sound. They leave it stock and love it because the harley is still a great bike stock.

I like forums because I like to know what I can do to make the bike better or even just more personal. It is nice to know we have these options, but they won’t take away that you still have a really good bike even if you don’t mod it.

Beary

Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 AM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a great topic. I think almost all motorcycles from all major manufacturers sold today can be enjoyed "as is". Of course part of the enjoyment of any hobby is making things just the way you want them....I think the key word is WANT not NEED. The majority of us fall into that category and pay much $$$ for it. I tend to enjoy my motorcycle (you could interchange 4x4, sports car, bicycle, golf-clubs, etc. etc. for most men) when it has a few personal modifications....but it can become a black-hole, almost a disease I would say when you can't stop changing things and buying things!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:01 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior

Speckfisher - great signature at the bottom of your posts! Don't know how you guys deal with all those storms down there. Opal and a tree on my house was burtal enough.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:17 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

i agree with harley should have all the problems solved at there expence and i think
the 2009 has addressed the issues and now is a better bike i have a 2006 never
had any problems like the " wobble " and heat issues i have soaked a lot of money
personal add ons fuel management and chrome goodies because i want to be able
to adjust fuel mixtures and create a personized cycle for my taste you cant listen
to all the hype because if you did you probably would not buy a harley-ride safe

Quick Reply: Not Bashing Just Confused????