Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well I did it. How do you remove this crap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008 | 09:14 PM
Abnmarine
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Well I did it. How do you remove this crap?

Rode the bike in today and forgot about me wearing nylon Northface pants. Well you guessed it. Damn exhaust melted them and now I have a large burnt spot on the pipe. How do I get this **** off?

Old 08-07-2008 | 09:20 PM
hogdad
Road Captain

If you to waste your time try what a few are going to tell you..... Oven cleaner, Bluejob pipe cleaner, compound, etc etc. Really only way is to buy new(used) heat shields on Ebay and don't do it again. Especially from a nylon melt, it must look like $hit

Old 08-07-2008 | 09:21 PM
badlandr
Road Captain

I've heard heat the pipes and use oven cleaner. BUT I haven't try it may someone else that has can comment.

Old 08-07-2008 | 09:22 PM
Abnmarine
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hogdad
If you to waste your time try what a few are going to tell you..... Oven cleaner, Bluejob pipe cleaner, compound, etc etc. Really only way is to buy new(used) heat shields on Ebay and don't do it again. Especially from a nylon melt, it must look like $hit
It definitely looks like $hit. I tried the oven cleaner and ended up spending an hour cleaning that mess up. I guess I could just send them off to be Jet Hot coated black. This sucks......

Old 08-07-2008 | 09:27 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

Simple Green worked one time for me. It was a small spot though, probably the size of a quarter. Pipe was warm (not hot) when I did it.

Black pipe would look killer.

Zach

Old 08-07-2008 | 09:31 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member

I had a plastic shopping bag blow off the road and burn on to my porkers. I used oven cleaner, Blue Job, WD 40, ultrafine steel wool, a razor blade, and my finger nail. Worked it off after several sessions and lots of time over a few days. Running the bike and 'burning it off" between sessions seemed to help.

Old 08-07-2008 | 09:34 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Try some "Goof-Off".....that stuff kicks but!

Old 08-07-2008 | 09:43 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

Exact same thing happened to me. I just used oven cleaner. If you let it go it will eventually all burn off, may just take a few months.

Old 08-07-2008 | 09:44 PM
cgonzgo
Tourer

Search the forum, I remember reading that someone used a penny to scrap off nylon without scratching the chrome

Old 08-07-2008 | 09:45 PM
hogdad
Road Captain

Like I said early in your post some of these fixes will work sometimes and to varying degrees. Its also time consuming and costs a few dollars to buy and try all these products-unless you have them all already-. You have a nice bike there in the sig pic so I would just replace the part(s) or plan on doing it as you aquire them off ebay or somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Well I did it. How do you remove this crap?