Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well I did it. How do you remove this crap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008 | 03:23 PM
BikerGent
Advanced

You are right Top ,It happen to me and aguy told me to use a penny ,Copper is softer then chrome and will not scracth the pipe I used oven cleaner (over night ) small dab and several scrapings with the penny it takes a few times but keep @ it It works ,If you can get a English penny they are bigger ,easy to hold ,If not try a old penny more copper in it .

Old 08-09-2008 | 03:39 PM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master

Originally Posted by hogdad
Like I said early in your post some of these fixes will work sometimes and to varying degrees. Its also time consuming and costs a few dollars to buy and try all these products-unless you have them all already-. You have a nice bike there in the sig pic so I would just replace the part(s) or plan on doing it as you aquire them off ebay or somewhere else.

Sure wish I had your checkbook......

My dealer sells some stuff called road rub.......comes in stick form like speed stick deoderant. It is made to to remove ANYTHING from your heat shields and not harm the finish.....cost $5/stick.....

Old 08-09-2008 | 08:32 PM
Trek
Tourer

I actually burned some of my tennis shoes, I mean my "Riding boots" on the dang pipe. I just got the pipe good and hot, grabbed a rag with a heavy glove on of course, and wiped the crude back off. Went on hot, came off hot. Just took some rubbing. And I had to ride the bike and reheat the pipes again to finish cleaning it off. Wasn't that bad. . just was motivated to work fast. . dang pipes sure get warm!

Old 08-09-2008 | 08:40 PM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

Use a nickel. Works great and will not scratch the pipes because nickel is softer than chrome. T.

Old 08-09-2008 | 08:57 PM
JoeFLHX
Tourer

Ask 100 ppl get 100 different answers. All will be right for them.

I have had it come right off, and I have had to cook it off over months use then polish.

Old 08-09-2008 | 09:14 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

Melted my right leg of the rainsuit to the Boarzilla. Got home, used carb cleaner to get almost all off, and then very carefully used 0000 steel wool. Never know it happened. Used the same to get the wifes boot marks off too.

Old 08-12-2008 | 10:26 PM
cant beat baggin
6th Gear

Let the bike run till pipes are hot ,wipe off what u can with heavy paper towel let the pipes cool then use SOS pad.You know the steel wool pads with soap in them(will not scratch)

Old 08-12-2008 | 11:22 PM
IN Glide
Cruiser
Default oooo steel wool

A buddy of mine melted his boot to his pipe. He used 0000 steel wool and it came of.

Old 08-13-2008 | 02:58 AM
ragingbull
Road Captain

Don't use the green scrubby side of a sponge

Old 08-13-2008 | 04:33 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

Another alternative and probably a lot cheaper in the long run and a darn site easier on the elbow is just to send the shields for re-chroming,
good luck if you have already started all the other methods

Quick Reply: Well I did it. How do you remove this crap?