Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h-d recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:28 AM
acftdr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to talk a local dealer into providing the kit to me for free under the recall. I provided my VIN and mileage so they could file a claim. I did the job myself in 30 minutes. I'm a mechanic, so unfair advantage, but I think the average bear could easily do it in under an hour. My build date is 11/07. I actually had the newer style housing but replaced it anyway. Now I have a spare.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

Yeah, those clone bikes are nothing but trouble. Look at the Indians (Gilroy Indians). A bunch of parts from a CCI catalog & an S & S motor.
Late model Harley's are having problems due to all the emission regulations being forced on them. Part of it's their own fault though. They started this crap with the ARB and the EPA to hurt companies like BIGDOG and the others, that didn't have to meet the strict emis/standrds that Harley does. So in one regard, they did it to themselves, tryin ta hurt the little guy. Harley puts allot int R&D, but they need to do more. They have pro's trying these bikes out. Pro's know how to treat the bikes. Let the rookies have at em. Leave em idling for days, bangin gears, slipping the clutch, or stalling out. Put them in rental fleets before they put em in showrooms.

Originally Posted by Dispatch
Not 2 weeks after I posted for all to contact any and all HD information sources to push for a recall, I got my recall in the mail from Harley Davidson. I had the same situation with the dealer I bought my 2008 Road Glide from in late Feburary. They told me I would have to be put on a waiting list and wait for them to call me and only then I could drive the 130 miles round trip to bring it in. The service manager told me they might not have to replace it at all. They would have to dissemble it and see if it was the old one, if it was not they would put it all back together and send me on my way. Nothing like spending your entire day off sitting on your *** in your Harley dealership instead of riding, through no fault of your own. Damn things not even 6 months old. This will be my 2nd and last Harley Davidson. In about 6 more months, I "may" trade it in for a Big Dog chopper. What the hell. Harley doesn't care anyway. I've never experienenced them ever giving a s--- for me or my concerns. I don't mean to vent, but it's a brand new bike. In past post I've told the tales of other problems I had in only these few months. It takes a big piece of the enjoyment factor out when you start having problems with a 6 month new bike. Thanks for listing.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Dispatch
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 531 Likes on 273 Posts

You are right. I wouldn't take the chance on buying an Indian, ever. It will just end up like the DeLorean. Too risky. I've been a loyal customer to Harley Davidson for many, many years like so many others here. Spent thousands on parts and accessories. I just can't help but feel from these years of experience all they are concerned about is the profits, nothing else. I know that a big factor to the recall is only because "they have to by law". It covers them some what in a case of law suits if the defect kills somebody. If you look at the 2009 line they are so much more improved than the 2008's and it's not even 2009 yet. I did all of the Harley Davidson factory tours and research. Not all of there parts are American made. Even the radios and speakers are made in China. I've lost alot of confidence and trust in Harley Davidson. I see here I'm not alone.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:56 AM
sharknu
Cruiser
Default Had mine done today and guess what?

The fricking technician that did it scratched my tank!!! Looks like when trying to get the chrome console off the tank....he must have shoved something sharp under the side of the chrome console and scratched the gas tank. I am PO'ed. Took it back and they took it back in to buff the scratches out. When they brought it back out the sun was hitting it at the wrong angle and it looked like they did buff the scratches out. When I got home I looked closely again and there are still scratches there. The buffing only hid it a little bit. I am going back tomorrow to talk to them again! While I was in there...I had them look at a rattle on my new exhaust I purchased 3 weeks ago. They said that it was in my ghost pipe and repositioned the pipe. The pipe on the other side looked like crap....like when they were moving the ghost pipe and tightening it up scuffed up my 2 into 1 pipe! I showed them and they took it back in to polish the chrome up. When I got home I took a flashlight to it and it looks like they used a buffer on it. It has swirl scratches all over it. I am going back to point this out!!! That just SUCKS royally!
What is up with these techs? Do they not care or are they just trying to do jobs so fast that are not careful? I am FUMING HOT!!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:04 AM
sharknu
Cruiser
Smile By the way...

a little misleading about "when I was there I had them look at the rattle on my exhaust". It wasn't when I went back to show them the scratches on the tank. The work order included changing the recall fuel canister and the rattle on the muffle at the same time. The tech which did the order at the same time messed both my tank up and scratched the hell out of the pipes. I looked on the website of the dealer and I see he has only worked there since June of 08. I guess that explains it! A rookie tech! Man I am hot!!! My luck I get a newbie tech taking wrenches and tools to my bike!!! That is just wrong!! If the guy doens't know how to work on bikes then he should not be working there!!! oahfodsafodoasgoasnognoanbvl;zcnxv;ln WOHFGTRTI

Old 08-22-2008, 06:16 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I dunno.... maybe I'm not thinking about it right. I've been on the list with my local dealer for two weeks - he's waiting on parts - and I'm pretty confident that he'll call me when he's ready for me. In the meantime, I'm still riding. I have 18k miles on my '08 Road Glide with the original part, and it's still running just fine. I don't see this as something to get all upset about.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:36 AM
hdman
Road Captain

Take 2 asprin and called me in the morning..... Hmmmm.... Seems like I've
heard of the run around in more than the MOCO business..... Aint life wonderful............

hdman

Old 08-22-2008, 06:38 AM
newrench
Cruiser

Originally Posted by n8dc
Well that may be true but you can buy the **** to do it and they cant refuse to sell it to you.. I dont care what they got going you payed big bucks for your bike and if its financed call the place that has the lien and tell em the story and tell em your dropping it off at the dealer and they can pick it up there for resale.. Believe me this works.. And call harley also .. those bikes on the floor arent sold and screw the rental bikes you bought it your first...
Dave

I cant wait to get back from my vacation next week and start getting all the phone calls from guys yelling at me like it is my faualt. because as you all know the dealer built there bike, they also built there recalled part, put restrictions on how many recalls they get, made them finance there bike. HARLEY MAKES THE DEALERS DO THE RECALLS ON THE BIKE THEY HAVE ON THE FLOOR FIRST, it is just as flustrating to them as it is to the guy yelling on the phone or crapping on them on the internet.
I know Im only a "shop monkey" that works at a "stealer" but trust me dealing with the MOCO is even harder on us because our hands are tied by them and we are left taking the heat from the customers. If I could I would drive to every one of you guys house and do the recall myself, I do feel your pain and think you should be taken care of.

Last edited by newrench; 08-22-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:46 AM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pastor John
I dunno.... maybe I'm not thinking about it right. I've been on the list with my local dealer for two weeks - he's waiting on parts - and I'm pretty confident that he'll call me when he's ready for me. In the meantime, I'm still riding. I have 18k miles on my '08 Road Glide with the original part, and it's still running just fine. I don't see this as something to get all upset about.

Until you get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:48 AM
ms3300
Road Captain

Fellas, take a deep breath here! The Moco is well aware of their legal obligations and I am sure have those bases covered. If you don't like the way the recall is going, come up with a better idea. I don't like the fact they fix the ones on the sales floor first, but someone mentioned it is b/c MoCo doesn't want a bike sold with an open recall...legal reasons..makes sense to me now. I remember buying an 05 Suzuki Boulevard that had an open recall for a leaking gas tank..holy cow was I pissed when the dealer called me about that..I had the bike for three months and was told to be careful...IT COULD CATCH FIRE..now talk about an unhappy customer, MoCo is not the only manufacturer that deals with this..the Suzuki dealer when I brought the bike in just bascially epoxied the tank and told me they would call when the replacement arrived..sounds like something the MoCo (or any company) would do...anyway, as you can tell, I sold the bike bought a Harley and haven't regreted a minute of it..just remember it is a piece of equipment that will have faults..my dealer in Lakeland, Florida is a good dealership and I am scheduled for the canister repair Monday. Sorry some of you guys are not enjoying the experience but try and remember it is what you make of it..and don't bash the MoCo too much as other companies have their own issues. Ride Safe.

Quick Reply: h-d recall