Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RoadGlide Faring Wellnuts - how long should they last?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 12:14 PM
drumaniak
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RoadGlide Faring Wellnuts - how long should they last?

For those of you RGers who do windshield swaps between a tall and short depending on trip plans, how many swaps do you get out of your wellnuts?

I personally am having terrible luck and wonder if 1) reuse can work if you are lucky or 2) just replace them all everytime and pay the penalty of removal fun.

2007 RoadGlide

Old 08-07-2008, 12:46 PM
mphayes
Intermediate

Not sure its a use or time in service. But if you need new ones go to Ace Hardware and save some dough. I solved my problem by going to a Clearview windshield. No more rattle, much better design. Unfortunatly you usually have a wait of 6 to 8 weeks.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:59 PM
helmetknob
Stage III

I keep a handful of them around the garage and am VERY careful when I swap out to one of my 3 other windshields.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:00 AM
drumaniak
Novice

I took a look at the Ace around here and the only Wellnuts I found that are close are the 10/32 1" in length (others where 1/2", which seems way to small.) Based on my other findings the original Wellnuts are 10/32 15/16" in length. Or are the slightly longer ones ok?

At this point I am not looking at an alternate windshield. I got a 10" smoked from baggersonly on ebay and am overall happy with it.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:30 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Why bother going to Ace for something thats close to the oem? They are only about a buck each. They last 1-3 swaps depends how deformed they get from the previous install. As said, I keep a few spares along with the flat washers and a screw. The uv/heat has an affect on the rubber too

Old 08-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a trick that works!

The next time you go to Ace Hardware get the BIGGER size wellnuts.
Gently drill out the outer fairing to make the holes for the well nuts larger and install the larger wellnuts. The larger wellnuts stay in place and do not fall inside the fairing. WORKS GREAT! No more problems!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These things are $3.15 at the dealer and I found the exact same ones at Home Depot for .60 cents and I found the next size up and a little bit longer,but they still fit without DRILLING,for .75 cents. Look in the hardware section in the steel boxes where they keep the rubber stoppers.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:09 PM
nightglide
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mphayes
Not sure its a use or time in service. But if you need new ones go to Ace Hardware and save some dough. I solved my problem by going to a Clearview windshield. No more rattle, much better design. Unfortunatly you usually have a wait of 6 to 8 weeks.
Same here on Ace Hardware! buy a fist full of them and keep them on hand.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:04 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have taken my windshield off a dozen times already and havent had a problem with the well nuts yet..... Now that I have posted this guess the run of good luck is over now

Old 02-21-2009, 06:05 AM
monkish
Road Master

Good info for me. I just spent 2 hrs removing my fairing (for the first time) because one of the well nuts fell inside the fairing while mounting my new CEE BAILY. I noticed they were all a little out of wack. I will be checking out Lowes and Ace. Thanks

Quick Reply: RoadGlide Faring Wellnuts - how long should they last?