Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RoadGlide Faring Wellnuts - how long should they last?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:16 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyp
These things are $3.15 at the dealer and I found the exact same ones at Home Depot for .60 cents and I found the next size up and a little bit longer,but they still fit without DRILLING,for .75 cents. Look in the hardware section in the steel boxes where they keep the rubber stoppers.
Wellnuts (only) and my dealership are $1.05 each. Last time I was there, I bought 5 wellnuts, and 10 washers I can't find my bill, but it was under $10.... I have the chrome trim so I didn't get new screws. I installed a Clearview (blem) last fall, and that unit, came with new wellnuts, washers, and stock screws. I can't understand why other companies charge similar prices, but don't supple new mounting hardware

To the OP:
I've used and reused the well nuts many times, biggest problem is dropping them into the fairing

Old 02-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The wellnuts I used from Ace hardware are the next diameter size larger than the stock Harley ones. They cost about $1.00 each. I also purchased the polished stainless screws and washers to fit the new wellnuts. If I remember correctly the screws were about $3.00 each but they sure look nice. No more wellnuts falling inside the fairing! <ARGH>.

Although I did have to drill the openings in the front fairing slightly to accommodate the larger wellnut diameter, the Ace wellnuts fit very firm and solid. They sit flat and straight. No more crooked screws.

I have swapped the windshield on my bike about 6-7 times since. It is a lot easier and there is no apparent wear to the wellnuts and I did not have the worry of them falling inside the fairing.

This has always been an ongoing problem with me. The more times I removed my windshield or front fairing the more times the stock wellnuts would tear up or fall into the fairing.

There is nothing more frustrating than installing your windshield and that LAST stock HD wellnut falls into the fairing! The only thing you can do (if you do not have extras) is pull the front fairing off, find it and start over. Then repeat the process over and over again! Don't ask me how I know.

Wider diameter wellnuts from Ace hardware. Life is good now. Problem solved!

Last edited by Merlin; 02-21-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:02 PM
jayman720
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default we can put a man on the moon....

Eeeesh.

We can put a man on the moon, but we can't figure out a better way to do windshield (term used loosely) swaps on a Road Glide...

(We also can't make a microwave that'll handle tin foil, but I digress...)

It seriously scares me that the "engineering team" (again - term used loosely) that came up with the beauty that IS a Road Glide can't figure out a better way.

(I too have spares - one in the bike's glove box, 5 in my toolbox in the garage.)

Does the chrome piece make it any easier to swap? What about the black piece that comes standard on the Screamin' Eagle?

Old 02-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayman720
Eeeesh.

It seriously scares me that the "engineering team" (again - term used loosely) that came up with the beauty that IS a Road Glide can't figure out a better way.

(I too have spares - one in the bike's glove box, 5 in my toolbox in the garage.)

Does the chrome piece make it any easier to swap? What about the black piece that comes standard on the Screamin' Eagle?
The design for the RG windshield install seems like an after thought to me.
It is both dumb and ugly.

I used to have two spares...but when I opened the fairing they fell out. (GRIN)

I like they way Harley sells a "chrome trim" to hide the fugly design.
Sadly, the HD chrome trim is a little too wide for my personal taste and I'm a chromeaholic.
I have not seen the black SE trim but I'm gonna need to check it out now.