Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

He didn't like it

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Rhonda
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default He didn't like it

A few weeks ago I posted a post asking your opinions of your Ultra Classics as my husband and I were thinking of selling both our bikes and buying an Ultra. Visions of a nice, comfy ride, music, cruise control and many more hours of riding danced through our heads. We were SO excited!! We were going to rent one for a weekend just to make sure he liked it. Then he got the idea to ride his cousin’s Ultra. He rode it for about 15 minutes and I’m sad to say, that he did NOT like it. He said it felt big and bulky and felt to be way too much bike for him and that was with the tour pack off. He came home shaking his head and dreams of our new Ultra died right there.

I don’t want him to feel uncomfortable. For the seven years he’s been riding a Heritage (we’ve had 2), riding has been a great source of pleasure for him and for me. I don’t want the pleasure turned into anxiety. So I guess we will keep our beautiful Heritage. It’s a wonderful bike, but the 1100 mile round trip to the mountains of northern Georgia last weekend was a killer on my butt.

My intention is not to put down the Ultra in any way. Matter of fact, I think it’s a wonderful bike and we are so disappointed it’s not for him. Just wanted to let you all know what happened to our dream.

Thanks for all the advice anyway.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:49 AM
tano01
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the same reason I wound up with a RK. I rode a friends Ultra and felt the same way. I got a backrest and my wife is very happy with it.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:50 AM
RoadKingCop
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

You guys may want to consider a Victory Vision. It's a very nice bike and has all of the amenities you are looking for. The looks are somewhat controversial, but otherwise it's a terrific bike.
Ben

Old 08-07-2008, 10:53 AM
mysticwolf
Road Master

Why buy a new bike ,when all you might need is a new seat? If its just your butt, check out a differant seat. I sent mine to meancity cycles and had it redone, and it great. Allen can do anything you want to it, memory foam, jelpad, cut it lower, make it higher, what ever. Give him a shout, let him know what ya got, he'll do ya rite

Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

I think 15 minutes is a bit of a short time to get a feel for any bike. When I bought my Road Glide after riding a Deuce, it felt huge and heavy, and my ride home I was questioning my decision. However, now I find it to be a joy to ride. It does not feel big at all and it goes around corners great. Your idea of renting one for a weekend is really good.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:56 AM
assassin307
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tano01
That is the same reason I wound up with a RK. I rode a friends Ultra and felt the same way. I got a backrest and my wife is very happy with it.
Roadking might not be a bad way to go. Probably a little more comfy than the heritage?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:01 AM
gibby122
Road Captain

gotta be comfortable on your ride or you you wont enjoy it. However, I dont think 15 min is nearly enough time to truely make a decisoin lke that. After I bought my RK Cust, after the 1st week of having it, I thought Id made a huge financial mistake, I was not enjoying my time in the saddle very much AT ALL. A new seat made a huge differance, and I still need to change out the handle bars, I am no longer regreting buy the bike, sometimes it really just takes some time getting used to a new bike.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Bluerose

Hmmmm...sounds like someone my not have gone in completely open minded. It's also possible the size of the bike was intimidating.

Honestly, I was initally put off by the weight but more at a stop then while rolling. After a thousand miles or so you find it's not really the issue you thought it would be. I was also worried about backing the bike up because I was so used to just parking the Deluxe any ol' place. Your just learn to be careful how you park/were you park.

I'd be surprised if the handling felt heavy at speed since I am quite sure the Touring bikes are more nimble in the twisties the the softails. I was actually surprised by it.

If you look at what the Ultra (or Road Glide, or Street Glide..etc) add in suspension and comfort for the rider and passenger it really is a great way to go. If you don't think the radio, communications setup, and larger bags are worth it but want better suspension then maybe a Road King is worth a look. It would be a more comfortable ride without the heavy bat wing or fixed fairing. I have to admit..I rode a friends road king and it felt little after getting off the Ultra. You can always get a J & M or other setup to run music and communications.

Honestly 15 minutes is just not enough. He should condsider renting for a whole day. Hubby and I rented a Classic and a Road Glide for the day....We switched off mid-day. Took me one more test ride to decide.

RoadKingCop also makes a good point. There are other bikes besides Harleys (I didn't say that!). Maybe take a look at a few.

EDIT: Another way to go would be to upgrade the bike your on...New seat, air suspension, & communications. I found that cost to be over the top for me an ended up being part of the reason I changed bikes....but it's definately an option

Last edited by Bluerose; 08-07-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:13 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Different strokes for different folks.
when I got my Ultra I felt like a ant trying to move a mountain you might say and not a piece at a time. I am 5'7" at 125 lbs. so the Ultra was a big challenge for me.My wife-for safety's sake-weighs more than I do and when we packed for long trips I had a hand full. I had Allen make some adjustments to the seat-getting my feet on the ground and add more comfort. I now wear thick sole boots when I ride 2 up and added the twr missing link. I am now comfortable riding solo or 2 up. The Ultra handles so good that it is a pleasure to ride. Remember he was leaving a rather light bike to a full pledge tourer, lots of weight difference there. If he is really wanting the Ultra he should consider giving it a second shot but at least ride it all day or most of the day any way.
The Road King may be what he needs and you can get the saddle bags and trunk. The Ultra is rather tall for some of us and it does take a little time to adjust to it's height/weight.
As far as the seat for you there are many choices out there. After 45 years of riding I have found a seat that is less than 14 inches wide for the passenger they are not very comfortable on long rides. The Ultra has a 16 inch passenger seat. Some can do good with a 12 inch seat. Look around for something you both will enjoy or spend a little $$ to make the Heritage more comfy for you.
jim

Last edited by dirtdobber; 08-07-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member

Not all bikes are for all kinds of people. I have to agree with Bluerose though. I'd give it more time. The UC handles great and is very comfortable.

It would be wise to give it a fair shake as you'll be missing out on a really great ride.

Quick Reply: He didn't like it